Hepatitis C Community

hep?

i did a test for hiv and i am worried about something the guy changed the lancet that pricks me but it is from the same pen so the same outer cap is still on and it might contain dry blood is there any risk for hiv or hepatitis is there is dry blood on cap ?
There was someone on here a while back that said she got HCV that way. Maybe they will see this post and respond. The chances are pretty low.

Diane
Maybe just luck with on our part but my husband is a diabetic and back when I didn't know I had HCV my husband inadvertently loaded the same lancet into the pen I had used to check my glucose level.  He does not have HCV so that's an example of how low the risk is.

The thing with HCV is the infected blood must enter the bloodstream in order for the other person to contract the virus.  That does not occur with all needle sticks or exposure.

Trinity
well thanks for ur responses but my problem is not the lancet but the outer part the cap that has been used over many people with hep c and not hep. c and i wonder is it is a risk how come the testing sites use the same pen ??? and chance just the lancet
I guess you'll just have to ask the facility that did the testing why.  I know when I put the cap on the pen to test glucose levels it never touches the area in which the lancet penetrates the skin.
Your chances are pretty much non-existent but I guess still possible so the best thing to do is wait a few weeks then get tested with a PCR test and it will tell you if you have the virus or not.   Then you will know one way or the other for sure.