Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

hepatitis C and exercise

I have been doing a herbal tonic and acupuncture to combat my Hepatitis C. My ALT is 79 but when I exercise I find the next day I lack energy and have slight dizziness. I am losing muscle tone and consequently my weight has plunged from 53 kilos to 48 kilos. Should I try and exercise through the symptoms all wait till I feel stronger (if ever)?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
238010 tn?1420406272
I think you should go see a good hepatologist and get a biopsy.  Then you can make a more informed decision on how to treat.
Helpful - 0
I am 59 years old and must have contracted Hep C in the late 70's. I didn't realise I had it till early 1990's. Didn't start feeling real symptoms until two or three years ago.
Even though I'm fairly tall I always been low body weight, 54 kgs but lately I've dropped to 48 kgs due to lack of exercise. Consequently I've been ruled out of the Interferon program due to low body weight and gastritis which makes it very difficult for me to take medication orally. I struggle with the herbs I'm doing but I manage to take what medication I have to.
I have not had a biopsy. Ultrasounds have so far revealed nothing.
I feel somewhat out of my depth compared to the experiences most of the other members are going through.
thanks for your interest.
Helpful - 0
691935 tn?1421027090
Hi,
You do know that the herbs and acupuncture won't cure the HCV, right?  Is there a reason you are not on a medical treatment or are you?  I'm assuming you have been tested because you know you are positive for HCV.  How long have you had it?  Have you had a liver biopsy?  A little more info may be helpful.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community

Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473358451
DC
683231 tn?1467323017
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.