Hepatitis C Community

hepatitis c patients not fit to work? treatment failed using interferon & ribavarin

1.Is hepatitis c patients is not fit to work at offshore? The doctor who checking me on my work mdical fitness check up not approve me to continue my work , so I will lose my career, but the doctor that treat me on hepatitis c never tell me I not fit to work at offshore ,
2. I 've done treatment for hepatitis c twice (6month & 12month)using Interferon and ribavarin but did not succeed , is it have another way or drugs to treat hepatitis  c patients like me (hepatitis c gen3 with  early cirrhosis)
I have heard that outside the US some countries place restrictions on hep c positive people. In th eUS that is not usually a problem but different coutries have their own rules.

There have been new drugs approved that can treat Hep c GT 3 successfully. That would be sofosbuvir trade name in the US Sovaldi.

I do not know if they are available where ever you are located

The recommended treatment for GT3 is 24 weeks with ribavirin.

In clinical trials GT 3 patients without cirrhosis 84% were able to get rid of hep c.

One thing you should know even if you get rid of the hep c virus you will always test positive for antibodies for hep c and I understand that is also a problem in some countries. Even if you have been cured they only care if your antibody test is negative. Once infected with hep c we will always test positive for the antibodies to the virus.

Good luck I hope you are able to cure your hep c and save what is left of your liver that is more important than anything

Lynn
Recommended regimen for patients with HCV genotype 3 infection in whom prior PEG-IFN and RBV treatment has failed:

Daily sofosbuvir (400 mg) and weight-based RBV (1000 mg [75 kg]) for 24 weeks is recommended for treatment of HCV genotype 3 infection in patients in whom prior PEG-IFN and RBV treatment has failed.

Rating: Class I, Level B

Alternate regimen for patients with HCV genotype 3 who are eligible to receive IFN, in whom prior PEG-IFN and RBV treatment has failed:

Retreatment with daily sofosbuvir (400 mg) and weight-based RBV (1000 mg [75 kg]) plus weekly PEG-IFN for 12 weeks is an alternative for patients with HCV genotype 3 infection who are eligible to receive IFN, in whom prior PEG-IFN and RBV treatment has failed.

Rating: Class IIa Level B

PS: I meant to include the following information about the trials and cure rates:

The phase III FUSION trial compared 12 weeks (n=103) with 16 weeks (n=98) of daily sofosbuvir (400 mg) and weight-based RBV in patients with HCV genotype 2 or 3 in whom previous PEG-IFN and RBV therapy failed. Of all patients, 63% had HCV genotype 3 and 34% had cirrhosis. Because persons who had experienced prior relapses to IFN-based therapy accounted for 75% of patients, the number of patients with a prior nonresponse in the study was limited. The SVR rate for patients with HCV genotype 3 in the 12-week arm was 30% (19% among patients with cirrhosis and 37% among patients without cirrhosis). Extending therapy to 16 weeks increased the SVR rate to 62%.

Based on results from the FUSION study, the phase III multicenter, randomized, placebo-controlled VALENCE trial was amended to evaluate the effects of extending sofosbuvir plus RBV therapy to 24 weeks in all patients with HCV genotype 3. As with the FUSION study, most (65%) treatment-experienced patients had a relapse. The SVR12 rate after 24 weeks of therapy for treatment-experienced patients with HCV genotype 3 was 79% (60% among patients with cirrhosis and 87% in those without cirrhosis). The increased efficacy with 24 weeks of sofosbuvir plus RBV therapy across all fibrosis stages combined with a favorable safety and tolerability profile supports the recommendation to use 24 weeks of sofosbuvir plus RBV for all HCV genotype 3–infected patients, despite the minimal number of patients studied to date. The response rate for HCV genotype 3–infected patients with cirrhosis treated for 24 weeks in the VALENCE trial (60%) was similar to that observed after 16 weeks of treatment in the FUSION trial (61%).

Choice of specific regimen may be influenced by previous or anticipated tolerance to PEG-IFN or by the presence of advanced fibrosis or cirrhosis. For most patients, the ease of administration and tolerability of sofosbuvir plus RBV will outweigh any potential benefit associated with the addition of PEG-IFN. However, for HCV genotype 3–infected patients who have cirrhosis, responses to sofosbuvir and RBV alone for 24 weeks were suboptimal.

In the LONESTAR-2 study, adding 12 weeks of PEG-IFN to the sofosbuvir and RBV regimen resulted in numerically higher response rates among persons with HCV genotype 3 than those obtained with sofosbuvir and RBV alone for 24 weeks. Of HCV genotype 3–infected patients with and without cirrhosis, 10 of 12 (83%) achieved SVR. Given the limited number of patients in this demographic in both the VALENCE and LONESTAR-2 studies, these differences in response rates should be interpreted with caution.
Are there any alternative way to reduce or control liver damage while I wait for new treatments, my doc have told me about the new drug for treating the patients who have no response to interferon + Ribavarin , but the new drug is still not yet available at my country and has to wait for 2 or 3 year for that new medicines to come and approved by the governments to be use here
what Country do you live in?   Maybe knowing that, someone can recommend what will be ther shortly, or where is close that you could get other meds.

Pat
I live in brunei