Hepatitis C Community

hypertension medications and hepatitis C

Which hypertension medications, specifically or by class, are least harmful to hepatitis C patients?
I've been taking a low dose of spironolactone for a couple of months.  The drug has eliminated hypertension (drop of 10-20 mm pressure), ascities (loss of over 5 lbs weight), and oedema in my ankles.  It has also reduced ongoing diarrhea.  I still have occasional peripheral cramping which generally resolves if I drink Pedialyte.  

The docs also want me to use a beta blocke, but I'm thinking why bother if I don't need it?  

I have advanced HCV hepatitis.  I've had HCV for at least four decades.    

Marc015
Pedialyte: Each bottle contains: water, dextrose, potassium citrate, sodium chloride and sodium citrate. Nonmedicinal ingredients: FD&C Blue #1 and Red #40 (grape flavor) and FD&C Red #40 (bubblegum flavor). Bottles of 1 000 mL (unflavored, fruit and bubble-gum flavored). Cases of 8. Do not freeze. For hospital use: glass bottles of 240 mL (unflavored), cases of 24. Protect from heat. After opening, store Pedialyte under refrigeration and use within 48 hours.

http://www.rxmed.com/b.main/b2.pharmaceutical/b2.1.monographs/CPS-%20Monographs/CPS-%20(General%20Monographs-%20P)/PEDIALYTE.html
My husband was on metoprolol for hypertension, and though it is considered OK for patients with liver disease, he has since been switched to nadolol (a non-selective beta-blocker) at the recommendation of his hepatologist because nadolol has the additional benefit of reducing portal hypertension.

Marc015:  It sounds like you have significant liver disease, and certain beta-blockers (like nadolol) can help lessen portal hypertension and reduce the risk of esophageal varices, which can be a dangerous complication for cirrhotics.  

Hope that helps. ~eureka
If you want cure the damage of liver due to medication. Then stop taking oil, dairy foods, meat except chicken but very little. Only eat boil vegetables for a year. All damages will go away. And do exercise for atleast 30 minutes. Try to run fast then rest for 2 minutes. When the fat will go away from body. The liver will start healing automatically. Don't take any kind of Medicine during otherwise it can't be fixed.