Hepatitis C Community

hypothyroidism and hep C

A few weeks ago I posted here that my abdomen swelled up and that I had to go to Michigan to have an ultrasound done. Well the results are in: The good news is that I do not have ascites.(fluid build up in the abdomen) I also insisted on a thyroid test (which we were not going to do seeing as I just had one done in January that came back normal) results: My thyroid has quit functioning) hypothyroidism

My doctor said that about4% of patients on interferon will develope this disease. And that thereis a slim chance that when I am done with tx that everything will return to normal , although not likely.

In the mean time until they can come up with the right dose of thyroid medication I will continue to swell up, gain weight,ache,be cold all the time and have bouts of depression (who wouldn't) I am on an AD.The worst is the bloating part because of the blood build up putting pressure on everything.

I know that I read here that someone else was having problems with thier thyroid due to this tx and really NEED to hear from anyone, who can help ease my mind or give me advise on how to deal with this new side the dragon has thrown at me.

We have both agreed that stopping tx now is not an option although the thought does get through once in awhile.

Thank you in advance for any information or support that you can offer.    Kim
I TOO, LOST MY THROID FUNCTION WHILE I ON TX.(46 WEEKS)
I AM STILL ON SYNTHROID.
IT WILL HELP YOU. I KNOW I HAVE HAD TO BOOST MY MEDS AT TIMES.
ONCE U GET ON TRACK WITH IT..U WILL FEEL A DIFFERENCE.
I ACTUALLY STARTED OFF AS BEING HYPERTHYROID AND THEN WENT TO HYPOTHYROID WHILE BEING ON TX.
U WILL BE OK....ITS GETTING THE DOSE RIGHT.
THAT SHOULD NOT TAKE LONG THOUGH.I KNOW GETTING BLOWN UP IS VERY DEPRESSING.
FIGHT HARD!
BE WELL,
LIZE  :O)
I also developed thyroid disease on tx.  It's called "silent thyroiditis"  and causes hyperthyroid symptoms.  My understanding is that I could cycle into hypothyroidism or it could resolve an go back to normal.  I had 5 week tests done this week and will see my endocrinologist tomorrow.  This has been VERY difficult to deal with, along with the sx of tx.  I can relate to your feelings of depression, uncertaintity, etc.  I keep hearing, as Lize said, that it will get better.  It is a little better now than it was a month ago, but I'm still having heart palpatations, shortness of breath, hot head, etc., etc.  My last Pegasys injection is this Friday and I'm hoping that's going to make a big difference.  Hang in there and I hope you feel better soon.  caruu
I developed hypothyroidism right at the end of tx (24 weeks). It was picked up in a blood test. Unlike you, I had no symptoms, or, at least, none that I didn't think was a result of the tx. No bloating or depression, for example. I have now been on synthroid for a year and a half, and had the dose increased from 50 to 75mg a day about eight months ago. I feel fine. In my case the problem has been the loss of hair, which never grew back. Still, I'd take that any day over bloating and depression. I hope you gert the right dose for you sorted out.
Seems there may be some differences in the TYPE of thyroid problems associated with interferon therapy and there may be some issues regarding how it is managed.

I offer this to share with your physician for purposes of discussion.

Thyrotoxicosis induced by alpha-interferon therapy in chronic viral hepatitis

best,

thanbey

Hepatitis C Outreach Project
ATTENTION NON-RESPONDERS OR ALL- First sorry to break in on this thread, but no more questions today. Does anyone know about Ozone therapy for Hep C???????An alternative that is supposed to work???????Thanks
Yea no more questions for the day. But I will say that I have some blowting going on but will not get see the specialist till the 29th. I have been fighting with my HMO to cover me and they finially called me yesterday to tell me they would, but I still feel they will try to encourage the doctor to spend as lease as possible on my treatmeant. I do have a question tho, for all who had a biopsy, does it hurt bad and how long to heal from it? I have heard of people telling me that they missed and had to have it done a second time with ultra sound to guilde the needle? Should I insist on the ultra sound from the beginning? I have had a count of upto 8 million and geno 1b, the monster is large in me I guess, Im upset now, can someone give some answers?