Hepatitis C Community

i was a non-responder in 2002,

and i'm going to try the new triple therapy (telaprevir/peg intron) soon.

my question is, [if] (and i'm remaining totally positive), the new triple therapy doesn't work, would that preclude me from trying any of the polymerase inhibitors or interferon free therapies that are on the horizon?

thanks!
Were you a true non-responder? can you give more details about prior treatment? what stage is your disease?
i only had a 1 log drop, down to 70,600...but at the time they only measured to >850000...just had a biopsy in june and it said, stage 2-3, grade 2-3...i can post the entire report if you want to see it.
Google around for the study, but I read one study that showed that, for those that used Incivek and did not achieve SVR, the non resistant virons had  disappeared in  90 per cent of the non responders within 3 years.

I am a NR as well and that's what I am doing this fall

What was the dosage of your drugs in 2002.  I don't remember when pegylated interferon started to be used.  Were you treated with peg interferon and weight based Riba dosing?

To answer your question, failing with triple therapy will not preclude you from trying the polymerase drugs.  It may not even preclude you from trying the polymerase inhibitors in combo with protease inhibitors.  Vertex has lots of data on the development of mutant strains and their long term viability.  Most people that don't clear with triple therapy, revert to a population of dominant wild type virus once the protease inhibitor is stopped.
here is a link for some info on the study that I was referring to.

http://www.natap.org/2010/AASLD/AASLD_66.htm
andiamo1:

120MCG KIT, inject 0.5ml weekly – rebetol 200MG (2x am/3x pm)

burned74:
thanks will read that in the morning!