So very sorry to hear. New TX will be better and easier. What tax did you have?
Have you been geno typed again is it the same ?
Also very sorry to hear your news
no going back to DR. 22 sep
If you have Hep C I am very sorry that you have it.
However, it would be rare to relapse after 4 years.
Are you saying that you have a viral load again? Or did you just have an antibody test?
An antibody test will always be positive, for life, once you have been infected with Hep C, even after you attain SVR.
If you just had an antibody test, then you need to have the HCV PCR test to determine if you actually have Chronic Hep C.
Hopefully you do not have it again.
Sorry to hear this.
Good news is as others mentioned the treatment drugs are way less harsh than when you treated the first time around. Even not knowing more of the facts I have to kind of agree that it is more likely that somehow or in some way you were reinfected with the virus anew. I mean there might be the obscure journal article here and there postulating the virus never left a person (or hid or whatever) but that is a rarity.
Anyway I was wondering how you know for certain the virus is back if you appt isn't til the 22?
We will always show presence of the Hepatitis C Antibody even when we are UND. Could there be any confusion with this aspect?
Family Dr I get check every year going hepatitis Dr the 22
I guess this is as good a time as any to remind everyone that achieving SVR is no guarantee that you can not contract Hep C again. There is no vaccine against Hep C. Those reaching SVR should not have a false sense of security that they can never be reinfected (if re-exposed). I'm sure most know this already but it doesn't hurt to put it out there.
Let us know how you do at doctor appointment .thinking of you.
I can only imagine how you feel right now after beating this virus and now hearing you have it again. As others stated, the new treatments will be easier on you and hopefully very soon, you will be Hep C free again.
what is the new treatment .does it affect platet
I am so sorry to hear your news. I'm glad you came here for support.
I am sorry to hear you have Hep C back. I read t in other sites that reaching SVR is not a cure but remisson. Hope they are WRONG..
I know this sounds weird, but I've heard of people contracting Hep C from nail salons that don't sterilize their equipment properly. I went to a nail salon before for my one and only pedicure/manicure. They did draw blood. Now that I know about this being a possible exposure method for many who did not have obvious risk factors, I will never go to a pedicure/manicure place again. I will do my own at home. It's just not that important to me and I really don't want to have carry around my own tools and have to explain to some nail tech that I'll probably never see again. Anyhow, I'm just thinking that if one did get SVR, and got reinfected this way..., well I'd be quite frankly P/O'd. Susan400
What new treatment would depend on what genotype you are. Right now the new treatments include the meds Sovaldi (Sofosbuvir) and/or Simeprevir ((Olysio). Depending on your genotype, your doctor will prescribe the appropriate treatment. There are more new meds that are very soon to be approved. Most patients who have been treated with a Sovaldi-based treatment over the last 8 months were undetected for the virus by week 4 of a 12 or 24 week treatment. Some are now reporting SVR12 (cured) but others have relapsed. Nevertheless, even the livers those who have relapsed have all gotten a break from the relentless attack of the virus while they remained undetected.
My husband was treated with Sovaldi & Ribavirin for 24 weeks. His platelet count actually improved over the 6 months he was on treatment and is in normal range. However his hemoglobin which has been below normal since his transplant, dropped further during treatment. Post treatment it is holding steady in the 10 range. His Alt and Ast are still in the normal range 5 weeks post treatment, despite his having relapsed. So I would say that despite his having relapsed, his time on treatment definitely helped his liver. How long these positive results will continue remains to be seen.
Keep us posted. There are many here who will be happy to give you advice based on their personal experience with Hep C and the new meds.
Did you read what " Idyllic " wrote? Hepatitis C doesn't go into remission. If you have treated your hep c and relapse then you will have a very high viral load within months of finishing treatment. It's more likely that "cam76" has been re-infected with Hepatitis C or is just testing positive for hep c antibodies. I and numerous others have been cured of hepatitis c and collectively know that you can't get hepatitis C back without re-infection.
I think the chances are like a 1% chance that could happen. So it's a 99%
chance you won't get it back without re-infection. That's even better than paternity test results. I think that they have to say at least 1%. In paternity they give you about a 97% it's your kid.....and your the parent. I think 1% change you got hep c back and never really cleared the hep C virus is a 1 in a billion chance......and maybe 1 in a trillion.
Best to you
I cant wait for the day to come that I will be Hep C free and halt my liver damage. Hope you are correct and all of them WRONG. In you opinion what do you think of the article date 9/7/2014 that was posted by HCV Advocate where it was mentioned that protease inhibitors had major safety issues?
I tried to find the article from HCV advocate about protease inhibitor safety you mentioned with no luck. Would you have a link for it? Which meds were they specifically discussing?
I never was able to treat with a protease inhibitor like Incivek (Telaprevir) because I already had cirrhosis by the time it was released.
The new treatments like Sovaldi a HCV NS5b polymerase inhibitor, Olysio a HCV NS3/4A protease inhibitor, and Ledipasvir a NS5A replication
complex inhibitor are different from the old Telaprevir. Thus far they seem to have a very good safety profile unless you have some additional information I have not as yet run across.
Who are the "all of them wrong" is that about 12 weeks SVR being a cure? I guess what you are referring to. In the older study information 24 weeks was considered a cure but now the consensus seems to be:
"Patients who achieve SVR12 are considered cured of HCV infection."
I was going to check at 24 months if I was still clear ar 12 weeks as a just to be very, very sure check, but from everything I have read 12 weeks SVR is now considered cured of hep C
Good luck to all
Didn't find the article that you referenced. But if you want my personal opinion on the subject ......I would say yes there is safety issues. This isn't new news.
Best to you and wishing you a Hep C Free (cured) outcome. One you can enjoy for the rest of your life.
well i dont think i was refected was going on my 4th year check .my dr said it could come back .well its back .but i'm not giving up i will try again .and i think she said my viral load was 12 million i think .did not wont to hear that
Good luck at you 9/22 doctor appointment. Just remember that your viral doesn't determine how damaged your liver is. You could have a viral load of 12 million and have stage 1 liver damage. Or you could have a 1 million
viral load and have cirrhosis. Your Hepatitis C viral load can change to less or more at anytime. I take it that your GP told you that you can get back Hepatitis C at anytime without re-infection. This would be a good time to write down these question...and ask the Specialist your seeing on 9/22 what a high viral load means and does Hepatitis C come back after you've been
cured. Please come back at let us know what the specialist says. GP's
often give miss information when it comes to Hepatitis C. I still can't believe what my GP told me about Hepatitis C. Is amazing the untruths a GP can tell you about Hepatitis C.
Best to you