last shot/wk of riba--mixed feelings

well i took my last shot (48/48) this past sun nite and am finishing up my last week of riba...should be thrilled right? well i am, but also scared...anyone go thru this?  i came to medhelp in 3/05 just after being diagnosed; this has been the most informative, compasionate place.....every person here welcomed me, comforted me, made me laugh, understood me, and most important were with me every step of the way....to cindy & phil, i thank you for giving us this space to journal our feelings, and commiserate with each other....medhelp can be happy, funny, angry, serious, up, down, in otherwords like my life.....you have been such a big part of it....
i now have the worries, will the virus return w/o the meds?  will all my sides leave me? how fast? everyone's different, i know but i know i can come here and read about someone thinking just what i'm wondering, join in a conversation about it...who knows? i'm proud to have finished 48 weeks and don't know how some have tolerated much much more....thanks...michelle
Not that I know first hand yet but it seems you aren't alone in this.  It's such fantastic news but the shots in a way must become a security blanket...I'm only at 24 and am already sweating it.

But you are going to make it out of this and you know it.....you're already on your way.  In a year you are going to be saying "remember when I......" :)

Wow congratulations on completing your journey.  I am 40/48 and already having the same feelings.  I guess now all you can think is you have done all you can do and it is out of your hands now.  What genotype are you?  Were you undetectable thoughout treatment?  Keep positive and enjoy your treatment free life!
congrats. your done and I'm just getting started. I've too noticed some people who finished who actually seem to miss taking the meds. It's like a security or protection to them. when is your post tx pcr coming up? It's inspiring to see you finish and I thank you for your post when I was a lurker. Svr prize is waiting on you.

Dyce
congrats..  I new you could do it!  Just look at your future now and you can put this whole nightmare behind you.  Your going to be okay.  Best of luck!  Sheila
48yo fm when diagnosed. type 1 (no a or b). viral load 1mil.5...biopsy grade 2 stage 2....first prc at 12 weeks showed undetectable <50....LOTS of sx....good luck to you all too...
michelle
Way to go Michelle! Stories like yours inspire all of us. I was Dx'd in 5/05 too. I sure could identify with the several mentions of meds becoming an odd type of security blanket. I anticipate a mixture of feelings as I get close to my last doses. Please keep us informed as to how you feel as the gunk leaves your system!

I had to chuckle too when I read the posts because I was reminded of a Tx story my gastro told me a couple weeks back:

Seems he has a patient who enjoys how she feels on Peg and Riba! As my jaw slacked he said that she feels slightly manic and euphoric on the meds and reports increased confidence and assertiveness at work. A new twist on the riba rage I'm thinking out loud. He said no, that everything points to her having a minimum of negative sides and added that she even asked him to extend her Tx. Amusing but scary at the same time.

- Lee in MI, 32/48 and still trudging along

Michelle - Congratulations on completeing tx!! I suppose it does open up a new can of worries as seems to happen so much when we are extra focused on one thing for a while. Guess this is where you take that hand mirror and look back over your shoulder, remember how far you've come and why. You already know what it's like to face worry, no since working that hard to find yourself in the same place. Embrace the new. Enjoy life. All the patience, strength, and stuff that got you through the "...LOTS of sx..." on tx is still there in your backpack if ya need it.
Go warm up good health, joy and happiness for us. Let us know what it's like. We're heading up the path.
May you smile the smile of the young and excited when they open that gift with the toughest wrapping, and it's everything they wanted.
Don
Congratulations Michelle. You set out to do 48 weeks and you did it. That's all you can do. The odds are on your side now.

This Thursday, I'll start week 35. My last shot will be June 15. Strator's daughter's birthday, and also my best friend's birthday are on June 15 - I think those are good omens.

Please let us know how things are with you Michelle. Good luck and best wishes. Enjoy today and tomorrow...

Bob
Chellski, it's time to celebrate!  

I didn't clear the virus but after 36 weeks of tx it was pure pleasure to not have that crazy Interferon feeling and to get down to just enjoying life again, without all the damn medications.  After a couple of weeks my head stopped feeling all Helter Skelter and I could communicate again.

I love music but it drove me nuts during tx.  About 2-3 weeks after stopping tx I remember one day in the car turning up the music and really, really enjoying it.  I'm also a runner and totally stopped while on tx....then one day I started eye-ballin the tread mill and now I'm back to running 15 miles/week.

My tx stopped around this time last year.  After letting things go for 9 months, I took to my garden and lawn with a passion and began to enjoy the physical labor of working our property.

Go forward and be happy that you stopped tx.  The results are what they are.

Mike

Hi michele, congrats on being finished...  you know some of us here have an addictive personality- we GOT here by believing in better living through chemistry!!  So its only natural to want to continue... even when you know it's gonna make you puke.... or feel like sh!t in this case!!  

I must be getting a little wierd, "May you smile the smile of the young and excited when they open that gift with the toughest wrapping, and it's everything they wanted.  Don "  made me feel a little weepy... but such a lovely sentiment!!  I think strator (Donna) is really a chick, and just trying to sound like a Don...

On the food line below: I have spent the last three years dropping from alltime high of 238 lbs to 180 now, specifically trying to live healthier and maximize my chances of viral clearance.  I am scared sh!tless of gaining it back!  I never go near Ice Cream, although Butter Pecan could be a gospel song in my religion!!  So, the 9th is my one month anniversary, so far my weight is holding its own.  How many people gain during treatment?  

Can do, how bout you make us girls good and mad, and then SHIP us some just to make it better!!!  Ice cream that is, ice cream

Wow!  How time flies!! Congrats on reaching the end of treatment my friend.  
It must be a scary feeling to fly solo without the hep drugs but you reached undetectable and no doubt will be a SVR!!

Good luck to you and please check in every now and then to offer advice and encouragement.

Can do, how bout you make us girls good and mad.
________________________________________________________________

Make a girl that has a 9mm... AND a pitchfork good and mad????

Summim tells me it would be the last thing i'd ship. You gals our all the same... Give me, Give me, Give me. My ear perks up then all you want is ice cream.
congrats, must be nice to see it to the end..a real feeling of accompishment!
Ha ,are you the icecream man Van Halen sing about?

Dyce
I don't know how you all managed to do so well. I've finished my 5th shot and just don't know how I'm going to make it thru to the end. I'm tired, exhausted, cranky and a whole lot of things I'm probully  not even aware of.     :) Trying to keep a smile on my face.

Jerry
Gongrats on going the 48 weeks. I remember when you first came to MedHelp.
I finished 1-04-06. I could not WAIT to finish but I was nervous like you.
I started to fell better in 3 weeks. My Wife said I came back from the dead.

Best to you and your 3 children, Dana
Seems more like that chant... You scream, i scream, we all scream for ice cream.

Summin tells me with spring coming up and all this talk about ice cream. I'll be the first person that has riba rage over ice cream.
Jerry, You're about half way to the 12 week PCR. It's worth getting there and seeing how the tx is working. Be good to yourself, get extra rest, drink a lot of water, enjoy ice cream if you want to. Easy does it, one day at a time.

Bob
Hey guy, hope things get better, As for me, i just plain drive people crazy here. Makes me feel a whole lot better. As for the gals here, I think a whole lot of them just fake it.
You just had to mention ice cream didn't ya?
Hey there, I'm cranky, irritable, and well, hell whats new?  I really want some Ice cream for some reason... but cheer up!  How about you send us a pic of you bending over in that kilt?  Think of the fun you could have trying to get just the right shot!  I'll chip in for some ice cream-- dare ya!!  Seriously, my motivation is my family.  I do not want them to have to go through watching me with liver disease.  I have three grandchildren, and when they come see me, I always have a pony waiting, lots of chickens, dogs, cats, ... and we walk out the door first thing in the morning and don't go in until it gets dark.  NO one else can give them that love of OUTSIDE. Some times we even sleep outside, just for the heck of it.  So, I have a job to do, and right now, that is ensuring longevity.  Want a real smile, google black leopard Pony of the Americas.  As Soon as they get old enough for lessons... grandma's buying em one!!
http://agdirect.com/scripts/hrsdetl.exe?1125788361&0
try this link...
Word of warning to ya kiltedguy, that grandmother is a gun carrying wild woman that has a pitch fork and has been known to use it. As for bending over for her???? Yeah right
How you doin. I want to thank you again on the insurance imfo you gave me a while back, it really made things click. You know thats great your getting back to teaching the granny kids how to play and enjoy themselves outdoors. Most kids today only want to sit in front of the video games all day and nite. I have to ask ya, are you giving them kids lessons on the pitchfork?

Dyce
2

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community