Hepatitis C Community

marijuana smoking on triple therapy

Does anyone know of any data regarding pot smoking during triple with incivek? I'm thinking that it could help with the nausea and other side effects?
N
I was very clearly told NOT to smoke while on triple drug therapy. So I looked all over to find something to refute this. Basically they are correct. There is a series of talks on You Tube posted by TexasLiverDotCom. The doctor who speaks in this series of lectures is very clear in explaining that even occasional marijuana use may lead to hallucinations or even psychosis because of the way the THC interacts with the telaprevir.
I'm glad you posted this as I'm often the one telling people to use it for sxs
I'll be more careful from  now on.
( I'm going to ask my hepatologist his opinion when I see him, Texas doesn't seem like the place to find cannabis friendly folk.)

I'm doing SOC, and found cannabis takes away the deep muscle pain better than anything, and my doc's alright with it.
Maybe it can be used once the telaprevir is out of the system?

This also points out why we need it legalized so there can be more research as different strains can cause different effects.
Actually, though, there are many leading liver specialists in Texas. My father had liver cancer in the 70's and was treated in Houston. But I digress....
The speaker in the videos is a Dr. Jennifer Pâté, a psychiatrist at St. Luke's Hospital. She is not at all critical in her talk....just presents the information in a very professional way. The link is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b7o2fBSI2M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It was enough to make me sit up and listen ;)
"I'm thinking that it could help with the nausea and other side effects?"

You may be right, go for it.  We're all different, it may make one person feel better and the next person worse.  good luck
If it works for you do it , in moderation .
I haven't viewed the above links but it seems to me that if interferon causes mental instability as a 'common' side effect, the use of any mind altering substance is a bad idea.

I wouldn't do it, nor would I advise anyone else to do it.  I'm no prude, just cautious.  I have no issue with pot use.  In fact, decriminalization has been contemplated in the province in which I live and I think I support that.  Not sure...  
Medical
Marijuana linked to liver damage
Patients with chronic hepatitis C (HCV) infection should not use marijuana (cannabis) daily, according to a study published in Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, the official journal of the American Gastroenterological Association (AGA) Institute. Researchers found that HCV patients who used cannabis daily were at significantly higher risk of moderate to severe liver fibrosis, or tissue scarring.

http://www.scientistlive.com/European-Science-News/Medical/Marijuana_linked_to_liver_damage/19645/
Is this that same study that was discredited because of the subjects all being alcoholics, just some also smoked pot?

I have a friend, one of those with hep C for years, she doesn't drink, eats junk food, smokes like a chimney, both pot and tobacco and her liver is perfect.

Despite studies trying to lump us all together, we are different.
Cannabis does relieve pain and tylenol has caused people severe liver damage.
Smoke too much~ fall asleep.
Take too much tylenol~ land up in the hospital with an Emergency liver transplant.

I guess the bottom line is all things in moderation.
I considered marijuana when I was preparing to treat this time around. I'm not sure what I will do. I made it last time around without it. On the other hand, it wasn't an option.

The thread I read was this one:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/Marijuana-Aids-Therapy---Wow/show/1261409
I've been thinking about this post.

My skepticism about claims of THC being effected by the new PIs comes from the simple fact that they have only been approved for general usage since May.
How would there be time to have tested people doing triple therapy and marijuana use?
It doesn't make sense.

Also, I got to thinking about Dee who had a problem with her prozac not working because of the Vic, a serious complication her doctor knew nothing of.
Obviously this is a strong drug and perhaps all its side effects aren't known yet.

Having watched the video, I heard the doctor speak of the psychological side effects caused by  interferon~ not a new revelation.
If she made a connection between Vic and pot, I missed it ( which is possible, I miss a lot these days).

And I thought of my post about cannabis brownies relieving my back pain and the member who recently did triple therapy, is SVR and sent me a message that her doctor suggested she use it.
She claimed to take a puff occasionally to relieve her deep pelvic pain.
She got relief, not hallucinations.

What I found searching around the net is: doctors have suggested using it with SOC for years, primarily because it helps with side effects and has kept people on treatment who otherwise would have quit.

There is no doubt that even without the complications of hcv tx, some people have bad mental reactions and cannot use cannabis.

My advice to anyone, would be to use it sparingly and be aware of yourself.
OH not sure, I clicked on the link that Idyllic posted and Hector had posted the same plus a french study. Myself if one does not have cirrhosis and it helps a little bit why not.......... If i was in a trial i don't think i would for fear it would be found during blood testing and one might get the boot.

BTW i only mention cirrhosis because of being refused a TP if something went wrong.
Yes, the one Hector posted was the one. I only remember it because it was publicized, and discredited,  on my local radio when it came out.

I believe mj is stigmatized because the pharmas don't make money from it.
Tylenol was almost recalled for causing liver failure.
In my opinion it is the most over used, over prescribed med around.

The big dilemma with mj is because of it's illegal status there has not been much research, and what exists is questionable.

While the claim about smoking to increase fibrosis may be true, what about ingesting it?
What if you use a vaporizer?
Where I live you can buy it in oil form and edibles.

The transplant restriction are ludicrous, especially if the doctor is trying to help someone with pain.
( Of course if they'd asked me, I couldn't remember, was it the pot or the HE, lol?)

From  October, 2011:

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) -- California's largest industry group for doctors is calling for the legalization of marijuana even as it maintains that the drug has few proven health benefits.

Dr. Donald Lyman, the Sacramento physician who wrote the group's new policy, said doctors are increasingly frustrated by the state's medical marijuana law, which allows use with a doctor's recommendation. Physicians are put in the uncomfortable position of having to decide whether to recommend a drug that's illegal under federal law, Lyman said.

"It is an open question whether cannabis is useful or not," he told the newspaper. "That question can only be answered once it is legalized and more research is done. Then, and only then, can we know what it is useful for.

The CMA's parent organization, the American Medical Association, has said the federal government should consider easing research restrictions, according to the Times.