Hepatitis C Community

naomi judd

While I was at work I briefly skimmed over an article in AARP about Naomi Judd. I think I read that she said that she is in remission but will never be totally rid of the virus. Is this the way it is?
So far that's the way it is. Viruses are active or in remission. Like the chicken pox virus that comes back as shingles when you are older or under stress. Herpes is always hiding inside those who have had it. Hopefully, that will change in my lifetime.
She has a website I think it's Naomijudd.com that is excellent. She's done a lot of hep. C and she had it about 19 years ago - no riba.
not neccesarily. this is a topic of discussion that conjures up controversy and confusion. while many Dr.'s are reluctant to use the word cure, many are not. i recall a recent lecture by Dr. Deitrich on the Clinical Options slide presentation where he flat out called SVR a cure. there is another catagory of hep C that is intersesting as well, that is "inactive". which seems like the virus is present but not causing any damage. i don't know how this can be, and i would venture the Dr's don't know either. my dx was active hep C. there was no confusion in that.i guess there is always a chance of occult virus because the sensitivity of the tests are not 100%.but if the virus is und after several years, that's a cure to me.
This is a subject that is totally controversial.  For every HCV doctor that says the virus is gone, eradicated, truly a cure...there is another doctor who calls SVR a sort of remission, or de-activation of the virus.  Using terms like active or inactive virus, in people who have an HCV viral load is even more confusing, and lacking in any clear meaning.  If you have the virus, and have a detectable viral load, then it is ACTIVE...whether or not it is causing great damage, or almost no damage.  Most mainstream HCV doctors and researchers DO NOT refer to active vs. inactive HCV virus.  

As far as SVR being a CURE...it may well be, but it also has to do with what your definition of CURE might be.  The capital C cure would mean that you believe the virus is totally eliminated, eradicated, gone from the body, and cannot ever return.  The small c cure would probably mean that the virus gets pushed to undetectable levels after SVR and is constantly held in check going forward by a newly trained immune system, and a minute viral infection at minute levels remaining in various compartments, organs, and cells in the body....thus doing little or no damage.  Can it ever return????  The odds seem lower than 1% or so, and in reality no one really knows the answer to this question yet.   As time goes on, over twenty or thirty years we will see if the SVR is completely durable.  

Doctors and researchers fall in one or the other camp regarding small 'c' cure or large 'C' cure.  More researchers seem to consider it a remission, from what I have seen....and more HCV doctors seem to be in the 'True Cure' camp.

Either way, the SVR provides major benefits, and seems to prevent the ongoing development of life threatening liver related issues in most people who achieve it.  

The two negatives associated with the small 'c' school of thought are:

1.  If the virus is in remission, and still present in minute amounts, then might it be able to return as a full blown infection is some people , under special circumstances????  No real answers to that one yet.

2.  If the virus is still in the body, does it continue to cause low level damage in various subtle ways, or also, does it cause the development of autoimmune diseases, due to the constant struggle of the immune system to keep it in check??  No answers on the horizon yet for that one either....

DoubleDose
I also think it would depend on one's lifestyle.  By lifestyle I mean, what one eats, drinks, stress, environment.

People are always carrying things in them, take candida.  Candida is present in everyone's system and we can't live without it, but too many antibiotics can trigger a yeast infection.  Maybe it's the same with HCV.  It's hangin' around, waiting for an opportune moment where it can flourish again.  I would never have a beer again, or eat at mcdonalds, if you know what I mean.  I've worked too hard and long.
That was a good explanation of a very complex & controversial issue. Thanks, Mike
I met Naomi Judd.  She is a whack job and a half. She claims that she healed herself through her mind/body/spirit connection.

I would not use her in any way as a typical hepc responder.

I heartily agree with your assessment!  Having been raised in a faith-healing cult that believed in no medical care of any kind and, as a result, having lost my little sister to untreated cancer when she was 7 and I was 8, I am, to put it mildly, EXTREMELY skeptical of the mind/body connection theory WHEN it causes one to lose sight of their common sense, which is what my parents did.  I myself take herbs, have used acupuncture, massage therapy, etc., but operate under no misconception that any of these things, no matter WHAT I may visualize, is going to KILL the HCV virus.  I get utterly furious when people imply any differently.

What a fascinating thread.  When I was first diagnosed with HepC geno 1b in 1993, my biopsy revealed "no active disease", VL under 2,000, Grade 0/Stage 0.  I was infected in '76.  By the time my second divorce was over in '98, I had progressed to a Grade 2/Stage 3 and have been fighting to keep it from progressing to cirrhosis ever since.

So when I was diagnosed, obviously I was sick, but it didn't matter because there was no damage.  I think of SVR and Cure in the same way:  the virus is COMPLETELY eradicated from your bloodstream, never to return unless you are reinfected.  I mean eradicated to the point that one can have total confidence that if transplanted, that new liver will be safe from any attack by the HCV virus because there is no longer any virus anywhere in the body to attack the new liver.  Nowhere.  Nothing.  Nada.  I don't mean to minimize the complexities and risks of liver transplant, infection by the HCV virus being only one of those.  I often wonder how David Crosby is faring with his transplant several years back.
Hello, I was recently diagnosed 06/07, genotype 2, going on treatment shortly.  I am 53, very healthy, they just stumbled upon it due to gallbladder problems and high lft's.  I hate to sound stupid, but what is SVR?  Is it Sustained Viral Response?  I have been trying to found out how the treatment is going to effect me, have not heard anything positive.  Has anyone had the treatment without getting really sick?

RE:  Naomi, I know she underwent 2 rounds of treatment, and I do believe that you have to have a positive outlook, and try to remain calm and stressfree, so I agree with that.   Thanks for listending.
Welcome. Yes. SVR stands for sustained viral response, aka "The Cure". We're all working towards that end. RVR means Rapid Viral Response, which we all hope to achieve by week 4 on tox. EVR = Early Viral Response. PCR test determines your viral load (VL). Geno 2 is easiest to clear, so you got that going for you. What is your VL?  Did you get a biopsy? Do you know Grade/Stage of liver damage? Post your blood test results if you can, the ALT and AST along with the bilirubin is important to know as well. The folks here can answer most any questions you may have.  
I can say that I have not been really sick!  I was a rapid responder and only have to do 24 weeks.  1A.  YEah I feel not the best some/most days but I have not missed any work because of that.  Just keep trudgin on.  Just did shot 17!  what is your definition of REALLY SICK??
CNN:/  David Crosby’s poor health is being blamed as the cause for the cancellation of a planned U.S. tour with fellow rock icon Graham Nash. The singer had been reported as suffering from pneumonia earlier in February and the condition was blamed for the cancellation of an Australian tour – which
also saw fellow musician and long time collaborator Stephen Stills joining the duo on stage.

Crosby, 65, has had a long history of drug abuse and has had battles with hepatitis C. The singer also had a successful liver transplant in 1995.

His manager Donald Miller also issued a statement about the cancellation saying: "We deeply regret that the band will not be able to embark on this (U.S.) tour as scheduled. At this time, we thank you for your understanding and the band looks forward to seeing you this fall."