A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

new guy in need of some advice

Hello All,
I'm new to all this and was hoping to find out what you guys would do in my situation. I found out I have hep c a few years ago and now have a viral load count of 13 million. that's hi I know. However, I don't have any liver damage because i guess i've only been positive for a few years. Anyways, I am about to finish college and start a new career. I am a designer and have been very successful internationally (before even finishing school) and have several lucrative job offers. My field is very competitive and requires one's complete devotion. Its basically all i do. In a few months I will be starting to work at a studio. I don't want to start my career with the side effects from interferon. I could destroy it before it really starts. If anyone could describe the steps that occur during interferon treatment that would be great. Also, if anyone could describe - considering my present state how the virus progresses without interferon that would be good as well.
I am considering waiting until after I've been working a while to start interferon. Also if you guys could define some of the more complex lingo that you use here it would help. One last thing. I've gathered that this microscopic silver solution is a hack, but what about all those testimonials. Do you guys think those are just completely made up?
40 Responses

There are a lot of VERY knowledgable people in here that will be more than glad to give you their two cents.  I am just answering quickly in case you are still reading and you know someone has written back!

How do you know that you have NO liver damage?  did you have a biopsy (bx)?

If you have NO damage then it sounds like you can wait a while until you get settled in before starting tx.  Of course your doctor knows best and none of us are doctors.

If you do "wait" please make sure to have regular testing done - you didn't mention your ALT and AST but with a vl of 13mil being high they would be useful to know.  You don't want to wait until your liver is really damaged before you treat.

And they do say that the earlier you treat after infection...the better for you.

Perhaps you can put down a bit more information in here and the smarty pants will help you out.

I just wanted to let you know someone answered and that we care.

Best of luck
Debby
I had a liver biopsy and more recently one of those radioactive injection liver xrays. According to both of those I have no liver damage. I've also been vaccinated for Hep A and B. What is this ALT and ASD you speak of? That among other lingo / abreviations etc. I am not familiar with yet.
If you are sure you have no damage, I would talk over the options with your doc, but you might be a good candidate to wait for newer treatments that don't include ribavirin, and might be much shorter in duration, especially if you are feeling well now. If VRTX's timeline holds, and into the start of phase 2 it has, they might have VX-950 approved in less than 3 years. 2006 has the chance to answer many questions about it, and data will start to flow very early in the year. Their modeling suggests VX-950 and interferon could shorten treatment down to 1-3 months. There are many threads on this site on VX-950, I would read them and do some research. Phase 3 is scheduled to start in 2007, and they have stated they plan to file for approval by 2008, and review time should be 6 months or less. This is the only drug in trials that I know of that the FDA is fast-tracking.

Again, it is only a suggestion, and it should be discussed thoroughly with your doc, but you seem to be in good shape so far.

Also, genotype is important. Geno 2 and 3 need half the treatment time or less than geno 1. Geno 1 is much harder to treat with current therapy. Good luck, and stay well.

PS: ALT is a marker of liver injury, AST is less specific as it can be elevated due to liver, muscle, heart, etc. injury.
Also, have them check your platelets.
e2: Welcome,

My Viral count is 53,800,000 there is hope. I just started treatment (tx) with little side effects (sx). Get more than one doctors opinion and do your research. Get your CBC (Complete Blood Count) too. That will tell you your ALT and AST along with other information.

Check out these sites:
http://www.hcvadvocate.org/
http://www.hepeducate.org/pe_test/pe_course_list.php
http://www.allabouthepatitisc.com/readytolearn/
http://www.hepatitisdoctor.com/
http://www.using-pegasys.com/

Do you know how and how long you have had HCV (Hep C Virus)?

I hope to hear back from you soon.

GIG,

Red
LIVER DAMAGE IS RATED FROM 0 TO 4 WITH 4 BEING CIRROSIS AND 0 BEIND NO DAMAGE. IF YOU ARE ONLY A 0 OR A 1 YOU MAY CONSIDER WAITING UNTILL BETTER DRUGS COME ALONG WHICH HOPEFULLY WILL BE IN 2-3 YEARS. I HAVE HAD HEP C FOR 36 YEARS AND AM ONLY A 3(NOT REAL GOOD) BUT SHOWS THAT IT OFTEN TAKES A LONG TIME TO GET BAD.
IF YOU DECIDE TO TAKE TREATMENT YOU MAY CONSIDER TAKING IT BEFORE STARTING A NEW CAREER. ALSO FIND OUT WHAT GENONE TYPE YOU ARE. IF YOU ARE A 2 THE DOSES ARE LOWER AND TREATMENT ONLY LASTS FOR 24 WEEKS NOT 48 LIKE GENO 1.
ALT AND AST ECT. ARE LIVER CHEMICAL LEVELS AND ARE A GOOD INDICATOR OF THE CURRENT HEALTH OF YOU LIVER. SVR IS SUSTAINED VIRAL RESPONSE (CURED).
GOOD LUCK AND BE INFORMED. IT IS YOUR HEALTH.
SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A GREAT LIFE IN FRONT OF YOU.
BOBBY
http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/2005icr/aasld/docs/111405_d.htmlOBBY

http://www.pegasys.com/basics/default.asp
Thanks for the info. To answer your question I have a general idea I've probably had the virus for about 4 to 6 years.
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.