Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

paternal use of Ribavirin

Does anyone know of an actual case of pregnancy and the father is using Ribavirin
Ribavirin-interferon-alfa-2a during conception? Need to know the outcome. Tnx
10 Responses
475300 tn?1312426726
Hi I can't answer your question but the doctors told me not to even let a pregnant person TOUCH the riba.

Denise
1117750 tn?1307390169
yes i do , and you dont want to know the outcome,
971268 tn?1253204399
In my husband's trial were we made to sign a consent agreeing to use 2 forms of birth control throughout the duration of the trial and for six months afterward. They are serious about this, because ribavirin causes birth defects.
1233973 tn?1267738704
******This in no way indicates that I think it is in anyway wise to try and conceive while either partner is on ribavirin. It is a profoundle BAD idea.   It is only professional experience*******

Yes and the baby is healthy and beautiful.  With regards to ribavrin and sperm, in some respects, the jury is still out.  Ribavirin can cause changes in the actual structure of the sperm.  The drug is also found in semen.  It is unsure whether or not the drug is present within the sperm cell or not.  There is a registry of paternal ribavirin pregnancies carried to term and there have been results of successful presnancies.  
I'd really love more help on this area. I have 4 months left of treatment (I'm a 30 yr old male) and my wife and I want to have kids soon. We will wait the 6 months to be safe, but I'd love to get some help or examples of other paternal experiences. Has anyone had a bad or good result from pregnancy?  First hand experience?
I just found out I am pregnant and my boyfriend only has one month left of ribovarin/pegintron treatment. I want the baby but Im am terrified. can you explain a little more to me about this? Did you get someone pregnant on treatment? I see it says the baby is healthy but it doesnt say whether it was yours and if the father was on treatment or the mother? Please help me to understand. Lindsay.
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.