Hepatitis C Community

pegintron or pegasys

i have been reading so much, i have am confused.. cd anyone out there give me their opinion and/or knowledge.. i will try to condense this... i was on pegintron/rebatol for 1 year of treatment for hepc.. i did not have a response (only during treament where the #'s good)  i have had a liver biopsy and have early cirrohis stage 4/  i am genotype 1..... what is the difference between PEGINTRON AND REBOTOL -- i will be going back on one or the other...(keep in mind i do have cirrhosis) is one better is you already have cirrhosis????   i appreciate your comments.... thanks a bunch
I also have cirrhosis,I almost died in july 02. I've never taken Peg-intron because my doctor gave me a choice and I had heard that that the sx.effects on pegasys were milder.I have been taking it for 8 weeks now, and except for headaches and mild joints and slight nausea, I have not had any sides. The bloodwork I've had done so far hasn't shown VL, but my AST & ALT are back in the normal range, which means I am a responnder. I think I remember hearing tha peg-intron is easier on the liver, but I'm not sure. Hope that Helps some. Theres others who know more that I'm sure will answer later.    Joni
Peg-Intron ( shot) boosts the immune system to fight viruses. Rebetol (Ribavarin) is an anti-viral drug,which fights against viruses. The dual therapy is necessary. I was on Peg-Intron/Ribavarin and am considered a relapser. You can read my post under second round of treatment. It is necessary that you find the right doctor and the right therapy for you. Good Luck-If I can be of help, please post.
Peg-Intron is metabolized(sp) by the kidneys. Pegasys is metabolized by the liver. I have cirossis and my GI RX's Pegasys/Copegus. So far so good as far as VL I was undetectable at 12 weeks. My ALT/AST have not made it to normal they are still elevated possibly due to Gallstones?? Dr. unsure wants to finish TX and watch. 4 shots to go.
Glad to hear you were undectable at 12 weeks.  However, I would be curious to know what your initial viral load, priorto startign treatmetn.

I had my baseline labs drawn last Friday afternoon, and took my first shot of Pegasys in the doctors office that day.

I am hoping and praying for undectable at 12 weeks, but due to a high viral laod, I don't think my doctor is very optimistic about that!
My viral load was 3.2 million at the start, 12 weeks later undetectable.

Keep the faith!
Great news on your 12 week test. Incidentally, ALT/AST can be elevated from tx too (just something to consider).

Take care of yourself,

Scott