Hepatitis C Community

peripheral neuropathy

After being treated for Hep C with the combination treatment Peg-intron and Rebetol I have trouble with my feet, Numbness, tingling, Pain.
I can't walk long or even stand for longer that one hour. After sitting I have a problem moving my feet enough to walk around.
A neurogogist put me on Neurantin, and the problem hasn't eased any. I am now being treated through a pain clinic with Tramadol  four times a day and Neurantin 1900 mg a day and Clonazepam at bed time. I am very drugged up and hope it will get better, I can't drive or do much. I have been on temporary Social Security disability since the treatment of Hep-C started. I was told by the pain clinic that I would probably have this for the rest of my life and never be completely pain free.
Is this true? and will I be on Social Security disability for the rest of my life?
I am only 45 years old and if I knew now what the treatment would have done to my feet I don't think I would have done it.
There were many side effects that I was aware of but Peripheral Neuropathy wasn't one of them.
I am very depressed and feel like a handicaped person, and I don't believe I should be like this. I am very angry.
check the thread by downthisroad of 10/7/04 on surgery for the arms, it might be relevant to your condition. neuropathy is one of many sides mentioned in the inserts I read during tx.
From:
Sloppy pasting above--sorry.  But at least you have the date of her post  so you'll find it more easily in the Jovo archives.  Hope this helps.
I have a related question, not being up on peripheral neuropathy. Since finishing tx, I have noticed tremors in my left hand (I am left-handed) and some pinpoint pain in my biceps and thighs. My dr. thinks this is a function of stopping tx and will dissapate. Has anyone heard of this type of sx?
Sorry about the tingling sensation.  I guess others have had similar symptoms.  I have not.  Anyway, congrats on finishing up tx!   I've been lurking here and there. I don't have "Green Monster" seats but Red Sox/Yankees in October.....sweet!  Hope you get back to yourself soon and post favorable post tx blood tests.
Mentally, I've been getting better and better and I can now do physical work for 4-5 hours without napping. I know what you mean about lurking--I've been watching, but not joining in as much.

When I moved from NY to Cambridge and told my mother that I was rooting for the Sox against the Yankees, her only reply was, "You broke your father's heart." He recovered, to be sure. My wife and kids are rabid Sox fans and they are eager.

Hope you're doing well also. Where are you in your testing? You stopped at the beginning of the summer, so 6 months should be coming up. Good luck.