Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

peripheral neuropathy

After being treated for Hep C with the combination treatment Peg-intron and Rebetol I have trouble with my feet, Numbness, tingling, Pain.
I can't walk long or even stand for longer that one hour. After sitting I have a problem moving my feet enough to walk around.
A neurogogist put me on Neurantin, and the problem hasn't eased any. I am now being treated through a pain clinic with Tramadol  four times a day and Neurantin 1900 mg a day and Clonazepam at bed time. I am very drugged up and hope it will get better, I can't drive or do much. I have been on temporary Social Security disability since the treatment of Hep-C started. I was told by the pain clinic that I would probably have this for the rest of my life and never be completely pain free.
Is this true? and will I be on Social Security disability for the rest of my life?
I am only 45 years old and if I knew now what the treatment would have done to my feet I don't think I would have done it.
There were many side effects that I was aware of but Peripheral Neuropathy wasn't one of them.
I am very depressed and feel like a handicaped person, and I don't believe I should be like this. I am very angry.
Thanks
13 Responses
check the thread by downthisroad of 10/7/04 on surgery for the arms, it might be relevant to your condition. neuropathy is one of many sides mentioned in the inserts I read during tx.
Sloppy pasting above--sorry.  But at least you have the date of her post  so you'll find it more easily in the Jovo archives.  Hope this helps.
I have a related question, not being up on peripheral neuropathy. Since finishing tx, I have noticed tremors in my left hand (I am left-handed) and some pinpoint pain in my biceps and thighs. My dr. thinks this is a function of stopping tx and will dissapate. Has anyone heard of this type of sx?
Sorry about the tingling sensation.  I guess others have had similar symptoms.  I have not.  Anyway, congrats on finishing up tx!   I've been lurking here and there. I don't have "Green Monster" seats but Red Sox/Yankees in October.....sweet!  Hope you get back to yourself soon and post favorable post tx blood tests.
Mentally, I've been getting better and better and I can now do physical work for 4-5 hours without napping. I know what you mean about lurking--I've been watching, but not joining in as much.

When I moved from NY to Cambridge and told my mother that I was rooting for the Sox against the Yankees, her only reply was, "You broke your father's heart." He recovered, to be sure. My wife and kids are rabid Sox fans and they are eager.

Hope you're doing well also. Where are you in your testing? You stopped at the beginning of the summer, so 6 months should be coming up. Good luck.
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.