Hepatitis C Community

pharma vs holistic hep c treatment

Along comes this HVC after hitching a ride for about 25/30 years. Read lots on the net about past and present pharma and natural herbal therapys,side effects and degrees of success on both sides. Without being derogatory, I'll call'em the Suits and the Hippies.
The Suits have some very convincing momentum in the battle against HVC for us but at a cost, both financial and side effect prone with varying success. The Hippies seem to be gaining (by my observation from the failure of the Suits) some momentum with less costs, little to no side effects with claims of degrees of success. Both are advancing in their knowledge and help so I must add I praise them all for effort.
Non are going to disappear tomorrow, nor am I but here's my question finally. Has anyone given any particular, less invasive and side effect prone Hippy strategy to return to (full health HVC wise) or is this more often used as a last resort (as I seem to gleen) after the Suits have had their chance but left you less than satified with their end result.
(If they would only get their collective knowledgeable heads together for all our benefits.)

Theewoodman  
" Every one is so concerned about side effects of the tx, they act as though it's worse than the disease."

Many people recover from treatment pretty well, some come out with what I call "souvenirs" that are permanent but manageable. For a certain segment of people, treatment has either been extremely difficult and harmful with more distressing outcomes  OR it has simply failed. One fellow in my support group has tried treatment twice and it's failed and each time, he's come away from it with permanent health conditions. For him, treating a third time is a daunting proposition.  It frankly pi$$es me off to no end that this is ignored by those who so fervently push treatment  - these people need to be exploring alternatives to keep the impacts of existing Hep C under control.  For that matter....it's also a matter of personal choice if someone reads about the side effects of interferon and ribavirin and decide that they want to avoid treatment until better options come along and see if they can live with their Hep C instead.  That is THEIR choice, as long as it's an educated one.  Their body, their life.  They have NOT automatically sentenced themselves to death in that case if they are carefully watching and monitoring their health and are making use of alternatives to keep their fibrosis and their viral load in check.  People say there is no usefulness to keeping viral load in check but that's not entirely known - what IS known is that treating with a lower viral load potentially offers more chance of success so if one is keeping options open and trying to create optimal conditions IF they do end up having to go into treatment. I would be looking to keep viral load down as a " can't hurt, might help" approach as there are new things being learned all the time about Hep C.

There is nothing CLINICALLY proven to cure Hep C other than the known drug therapy we have today.  That is a fact.  That does not mean that there are not other things out there that improve conditions for persons with Hep C - and potentially even improve them to the point where life expectancy and the quality of life and health prognosis is greatly enhanced for persons with Hep C.  Perhaps if we explored these options more fully, it may be that CURE is not the only acceptable goal that persons with Hep C can entertain - nor should be allowed to entertain, when the current drugs are as difficult as they are with side effects that range from mild to debilitating from person to person and when the current rate of success with SOC drugs is still just under 50%. New and promising drugs on their way but still not a 100% panacea and accessibility to these drugs along with the new resistance issues to be addressed remain to unfold.  

I have thyroid issues as one of my "souvenirs".  I take daily medication. Easily manageable and controllable. Perhaps...just perhaps...we might find something that keeps Hep C in check enough to increase life expectancy and inhibit damage to the point where the number of liver transplants from Hep C is greatly decreased as well.  That isn't going to happen if the only option people ever entertain or investigate is the current pharmaceutical treatment.

Surviving Hep C is the goal....cure is certainly a great way to achieve that.  For some, that isn't going to happen and it would be nice if people can stop beating the treatment drum long enough to give a voice to those who need to discuss other options....and those who simply WANT to along the way to determining what is best for themselves in their own situation.  If treatment ends up being the best option for a person, that will become clear to them and I'd rather have the freedom to explore all my options so that I can feel some comfort with the option I've settled on after all that, knowing why what I've chosen is best for ME.
Can you provide an example of a hippie treatment that cleared someone of the virus, that isn't purely anecdotal?
I have only read about a decrease in viral load with the hippie sort of treatment. There are very many people who have totally cleared all of the virus out of their bodies with SOC.

Unless you get rid of all of the virus, it will come back and continue to damage your liver.

I have 2 weeks to go with SOC and my virus was undetectable by my 12th week of treatment (I'm going for 48) It hasn't been a picnic for sure, but if they still can't find any virus 6 months after I finish, I can consider myself cured. There are no other treatments that give that benefit.

Diane.
That is my question also to the masses, however, in my readings I have come across several intriguing sites. One is , http://lloydwright.org/. and my question remains I hope on neutral ground. I just hope I havent' confused anyone with my intro as I enterpret what I've learned so far.. Just looking for experiences and personal accounts.
Thanks for your responce.
Since there are no proven methods of achieving an undetectable viral load without using interferon, the question becomes "Do you wish to try and coexist with the virus while minimizing the damage it does?" If this is the case, there is a huge range of supplements, lifestyle choices, and even herbs that 'may' help with this. Unfortunately, as with so many things, a lot of it comes down to genetics - something none of us can change. Some people can live  totally organic, eat handsful of supplements and herbs and still go galloping to cirrhosis. Others ignore their disease and live to a ripe old age. It all depends - "Do you feel lucky?".
If buy into L. Wright, I've got some land I'd like to sell. It's a little bit damp at high tide.