Hepatitis C Community

post surgery

I recently had sections of twisted bowel and twisted colon removed - 8 day stay in the hospital.
I continue to have difficulty eating - EVERYTHING tastes salty - even fruit, etc.
Also, after eating I have an intense metallic taste.  I frequently brush my teeth, but that only eliminates the taste sensation briefly.
  My surgeon had no good ideas, except for wait out passing all the drugs, etc.  It's been 10 days.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Thats a relatively common symptom following intestinal obstruction.  Metronidazole (flagyl) an antibiotic commonly used during intestinal surgery, may produce a metallic taste in the mouth, and this could be the cause, but more likely its related to a change in the bugs ("intestinal flora" in the parlance) that inhabit your upper gut (duodenum/stomach/esophagus/back of you mouth); Sometimes antibiotics are necessary, but sometimes just eating probiotics (the stuff in "live" yoghurt like lactobacilli) helps.  You can get these lactobacilli freezedried in capsues from health-food stores if you don't like yoghurt.
Cheers,
Sonic