Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

pregnancy

I was diagnosed 2 years ago. I would like to begin treatment soon. I have an appointment later this month to see a doctor about that. I have a 3 year old boy. My hisband and I would love to have another child in the near furture. I would really like to undergo treatment first, then plan another pregnancy. But I have heard rumors that the treatment can cause fertility problems. Does anyone have any insight on this? I really want another child but I would like to undergo treatment first. Anyone with knowledge on this subject???
10 Responses
Hi amberbank,
I am in almost exactly the same boat as you.  I have a 2 year old, and decided that I needed to treat before we have anymore children.  After researching, I came to the conclusion that their have been no known long term effects on fertility because of the treatment.  That being said, you absolutely CANNOT get pregnant within 6 months of stopping treatment.  You have to wait a minimum of 6 months for the ribavirin to get completely out of your system.  In addition, many women experience changes to their cycle while on tx.  I basically don't have one at the moment.  But, all signs point to normal resumption of cycles post treatment.  My take on it was that I felt as though the mandatory 6 month wait would give my body time to get back to "normal" (whatever that may mean post tx) and then we can get down to the baby making business. :) Hope that helps a little bit!  Good luck making the right decision for your family about tx.  It is managable.  Especially if you stick around here for support :)
96938 tn?1189803458
At least tx doesn't keep you from practicing.  Hey, you're down to the wire.
Tx sure does keep me from practicing.  My poor hubby!  Oh well, I'm sure I will make it up to him over the next few months.  Wouldn't want him to think I ONLY need him around to make babies.  :)

How are you doing my friend?  I see you around here a lot, but you don't always clue us in on how you are doing.  So how are you doing? :) I hope you have a fantastic day today!
96938 tn?1189803458
Between tx's right now but still active on the next steps.  Have been talking with a nearby Univ about the prospects of being in a study. Have antoher call with them today. Otherwise, enjoying a ifn/riba - free few months and feeling well.  You have no idea how much better you, hubby and child are going to be feeling in just a few short weeks,
Sounds like things are on the right track!  Keep us posted about the study.  Do you know any details of it?  Do you know which meds it is for?  You are in my thoughts and prayers that's for sure!  Thanks for always having encouraging and humorous words, it is such a mood lifter!  
I am glad you are enjoying your tx free time.  Hope your body is recovering well so you can move on to next stop SVR!
96938 tn?1189803458
The place does both ifn/riba and PI studies.  The question is if I (relapsed 3a) fit in with the criteria that's required for any given given study - and when it starts. I'm not going to wait around too much longer.
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.