Hepatitis C Community

pregnancy

I was diagnosed 2 years ago. I would like to begin treatment soon. I have an appointment later this month to see a doctor about that. I have a 3 year old boy. My hisband and I would love to have another child in the near furture. I would really like to undergo treatment first, then plan another pregnancy. But I have heard rumors that the treatment can cause fertility problems. Does anyone have any insight on this? I really want another child but I would like to undergo treatment first. Anyone with knowledge on this subject???
Hi amberbank,
I am in almost exactly the same boat as you.  I have a 2 year old, and decided that I needed to treat before we have anymore children.  After researching, I came to the conclusion that their have been no known long term effects on fertility because of the treatment.  That being said, you absolutely CANNOT get pregnant within 6 months of stopping treatment.  You have to wait a minimum of 6 months for the ribavirin to get completely out of your system.  In addition, many women experience changes to their cycle while on tx.  I basically don't have one at the moment.  But, all signs point to normal resumption of cycles post treatment.  My take on it was that I felt as though the mandatory 6 month wait would give my body time to get back to "normal" (whatever that may mean post tx) and then we can get down to the baby making business. :) Hope that helps a little bit!  Good luck making the right decision for your family about tx.  It is managable.  Especially if you stick around here for support :)
At least tx doesn't keep you from practicing.  Hey, you're down to the wire.
Tx sure does keep me from practicing.  My poor hubby!  Oh well, I'm sure I will make it up to him over the next few months.  Wouldn't want him to think I ONLY need him around to make babies.  :)

How are you doing my friend?  I see you around here a lot, but you don't always clue us in on how you are doing.  So how are you doing? :) I hope you have a fantastic day today!
Between tx's right now but still active on the next steps.  Have been talking with a nearby Univ about the prospects of being in a study. Have antoher call with them today. Otherwise, enjoying a ifn/riba - free few months and feeling well.  You have no idea how much better you, hubby and child are going to be feeling in just a few short weeks,
Sounds like things are on the right track!  Keep us posted about the study.  Do you know any details of it?  Do you know which meds it is for?  You are in my thoughts and prayers that's for sure!  Thanks for always having encouraging and humorous words, it is such a mood lifter!  
I am glad you are enjoying your tx free time.  Hope your body is recovering well so you can move on to next stop SVR!
The place does both ifn/riba and PI studies.  The question is if I (relapsed 3a) fit in with the criteria that's required for any given given study - and when it starts. I'm not going to wait around too much longer.