Hepatitis C Community

question on sides

Did my first shot, pegasys/copeg, on Thursday and so far-so good. I took all your advise and am drinking almost a gallon of water every day. I might cure my Liver but i think I might wear out my Bladder!!!I was/am also in strong physical shape and have been getting ready for a month.In addition, my Hepc was mild. <1m vrial load, minimal fibrosis and inflamation, geno 1 and I have had it for at least 30 years. With the exception of those knuckle head years back in collage, I have kived a very healthy life.

So far the sides have been mild, some brain fog, cough, very minor flu like symptoms and i am more tired than usual. I went for a bike ride this am and the hills were tougher than normal, maybe 20 down in power. So here is my question. Are the weekly sides random? I mean might I have skated through this week only to be hammered next week? Or are the sides fairly the same week to week. So far I feel too lucky!

Thanks for all the help!
I have finished my 48 wk regimen of riba @ pegasys. I was able to work for two months, but my job was very stressful and I found that I couldn't give the 100% my job required. I hated leaving work....guess you would call me a workaholic until I started tx(treatment). Everyone is different. I have heard that sometimes men aren't as bad as far as sides go....but then you read on this forum....so everyone IS different! At first I was a little sick and a little tired.....but then in my 8th wk. I got worse. I saw my liver doc on Thurs. and I asked him if everyone was as bad w/ tx as I was...he told me everyone is different, but that YES....some are as bad as I was. I started w/16million viral load @ geno type 1A...so I had the hardest to treat. I was undectable @ each blood work. I feel so lucky. You will learn about all the sides from reading this forum everyday. Family here will be your best source of info...also read the archives...they will help you too. You are exactly rite to drink lots of water...you'll get used to it. I also drank green tea, made by Arizona. My uncle is in brain cancer remission...he is a living miracle...he told me to eat w/ plastic utensils and that kept the metal taste outta my mouth. Just hang in there and what ever you do don't EVER QUIT....I wanted to many x's, but the wonderful people here helped me to hang in. I have no DOUBT...."THE DRAGON IS DEAD"! I go back for my 6 months svr in May. But also remember sometimes when on TX...it can make some of us grrrrrrrrrr....so if anybody gets ill with ya don't take it to heart....you'll understand in the long run. Hang in there and we'll be here for ya! Love & Prayers ~Cindee~
My first week was easy too, but the second was pretty rough, nausea and fatigue. Stayed on the couch the whole week. Nausea eased up after about a month, fatigue at week 36 is a little better but still there. You can start to feel better and then get slammed on the next shot, happened to me a few times, seems to have a lot to do with diet in my case. You pretty much just have to take what comes and try to ride it out, this stuff can be unpredictable.
I am on week 50 (decided to prolong treatment a little) and my only sides throughout treatment were white blood count reduction and hair thinning.

Good luck.

Foreign girl.
Congratulations slarso on getting through your first tx workout.  I think it's a good sign that you felt good after it.  My personal experience was the first two weeks were ok but my ability to maintain my intensity has slowly been dropping off without any major changes from week to week.  I've been kind of tracking mine by doing roughly the same workout every Saturday after my Friday night shot(workout has been a 10 - 12 mile run).  I have one of those nifty Timex watches that gives heart rate/pace/distance feedback so I've been watching my heart rate vs. pace over the past couple of months .  The other thing I've noticed is the recovery time after the run has also been getting longer. Definitely keep up with a lots of water, also getting an extra hour of sleep has helped me.

tri-guy
Wow 10 to 12 miles on tx! In my dreams. That's great. Glad to see you can keep it up. I still work out but my level is so low it's laughable. Still I feel much better when I do it.

Slarso, like someone said here, you have sides most of the time but never all of them at the same time. Hopefully when you have them they are mild. The sx intensity levels change for me. I do go long periods (weeks!) without any. Hopefully I still will. LL
I'm pleased to hear that some people are going smoothly through the tx. For me it was a hell and changed my life, hopefully reversible. I went through severe depression and anxiety, big pain all the body, including liver pain which was a side before and it's still there, extreme fatigue, irritability, anger.
All those made me very unconfortable with myself...
Good luck and good health for all of you.
Since I was so active before tx I feel really fortunate that I'm able to continue to the degree I'm able to during tx.  I also know the body is very complex and things can turn completely on me in a matter of days.  That's why I appreciate all the knowledge and insights that people on this forum share.

tri-guy
I'm on week 15 and have had the pleasure of experiencing all the sides - a little bit.  My first two weeks were pretty easy and except for some irritability on shot day and the day after, tx has not affected my life that badly.  Saturdays are very low key but that's not too bad a price to pay.  I find low intensity workouts (bicycle) have helped keep my energy up.  I was even able to start a new job!  Go easy, plan for the worst and remember to be thankful for every day you feel good - that feeling builds good vibes that make life easier - with or without tx! I think it's realistic to expect your tx experience to be very tolerable if it starts out that way.  Good luck.