Hepatitis C Community

riba pkg insert (part 1) re. riba dose

I am GT 1 and my md only wants to give me 800 mg of riba because I weigh 115 lbs.  Why ?!

•for the treatment of chronic hepatitis C infection (monoinfection) in combination with interferon alfa-2b in patients previously untreated with interferon alpha:
NOTE: Consider response prognostic factors, HCV genotype, viral load, and disease progression evidence such as hepatic inflammation and fibrosis when deciding to treat a pediatric patient. Weigh treatment benefits against potential safety risks identified in clinical trials (see Contraindications/Precautions).
NOTE: The American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) recommends a peginterferon alfa product in combination with ribavirin as the preferred therapy for chronic hepatitis C infection.[20505]
Oral dosage (capsules or oral solution):
Adults > 75 kg: 600 mg PO twice daily (in the morning and evening) plus interferon alfa-2b 3 million international units SC/IM 3 times per week for 24—48 weeks; consider treatment discontinuation if an HCV-RNA value below the level of detection has not been achieved at 24 weeks. There are no safety or efficacy data on treatment longer than 48 weeks.[29161]
Adults  73 kg: 15 mg/kg/day PO or 1200 mg/day PO given in 2 divided doses (in the morning and evening) plus interferon alfa-2b 3 million international units SC/IM 3 times per week. The duration of treatment for genotype 1 is 48 weeks; consider treatment discontinuation if an HCV-RNA value below the level of detection has not been achieved at 24 weeks. The duration of treatment for genotype 2 or 3 is 24 weeks. NOTE: The manufacturer does not provide a specific maximum dosage for pediatric patients; however, for this indication, the maximum dosage for adults weighing > 75 kg is 1200 mg/day.[29161]
Children and Adolescents 62—73 kg: 15 mg/kg/day PO or 1000 mg/day PO given in 2 divided doses (in the morning and evening) every day plus interferon alfa-2b 3 million international units SC/IM 3 times per week. The duration of treatment for genotype 1 is 48 weeks; consider treatment discontinuation if an HCV-RNA value below the level of detection has not been achieved at 24 weeks. The duration of treatment for genotype 2 or 3 is 24 weeks.[29161]
Children and Adolescents 60—61 kg: 15 mg/kg/day PO or 1000 mg/day PO given in 2 divided doses (in the morning and evening) every day plus interferon alfa-2b 3 million international units/m2 SC 3 times per week. The duration of treatment for genotype 1 is 48 weeks; consider treatment discontinuation if an HCV-RNA value below the level of detection has not been achieved at 24 weeks. The duration of treatment for genotype 2 or 3 is 24 weeks.[29161]
Children and Adolescents 47—59 kg: 15 mg/kg/day PO or 800 mg/day PO given in 2 divided doses (in the morning and evening) plus interferon alfa-2b 3 million international units/m2 SC 3 times per week. The duration of treatment for genotype 1 is 48 weeks; consider treatment discontinuation if an HCV-RNA value below the level of detection has not been achieved at 24 weeks. The duration of treatment for genotype 2 or 3 is 24 weeks.[29161]
Children and Adolescents >= 3 years and < 47 kg: 15 mg/kg/day PO divided twice daily plus interferon alfa-2b 3 million international units/m2 SC 3 times per week. The duration of treatment for genotype 1 is 48 weeks; consider treatment discontinuation if an HCV-RNA value below the level of detection has not been achieved at 24 weeks. The duration of treatment for genotype 2 or 3 is 24 weeks.[29161]
Neonates, Infants, and Children  75 kg: 600 mg PO twice daily (in the morning and evening) plus interferon alfa-2b 3 million international units SC/IM 3 times per week for 24 weeks. There are no safety or efficacy data on treatment longer than 24 weeks.[29161]
Neonates, Infants, and Children < 3 years: Safety and efficacy have not been established.
800 mg is appropriate for you weight - I weighed ten pounds more and that is what was prescribed originally for me.  I dont know about kgs and all but yes it is correct I would think.
I weighed 120 pounds during my treatment and my riba dose was also 800.  My treatment was successful.
You weigh 52 kg.  52 x 15/mg per kg is 780 mg riba per day.  That seems about right

It would seem that at 1000 your lst treament you were somewhat over prescribed...however you mentioned your HGB. stayed in safe territory...so possibly discuss this with your doctor ..with his views...however don"t forget..this time with the P.I  your HGB.. may take more of a hit..
Will
i guess i am afraid not to take the 1000 mg which is what I took the first time.
dave spectra sent this to me which corresponds to the 1000 mg:
http://www.drugs.com/dosage/copegus.html

Dosage chart.
http://www.drugs.com/dosage/ribavirin.html

Pounds to kg conversion.
http://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/pounds-to-kilograms.htm

Myself i would want a 1000 mg for at least the first 4 weeks going by your last tx. results....... But i'm one to take a sledge hammer approach.......Wishing you the best.