Hepatitis C Community

ribavarin

I have heard that ribavarin is given for the flu and other virus's in other countries has anyone heard this also.

Harry
I am using it along with Peg Interferon it is alos used for the Sars virus excepted the dose is 3 to 4 times of that used for Hep C.
I can't be bothered to look it up now,but I;m pretty sure it was originally designed and licensed for viral pneumonia.
now that's the scariest thing you've shared all year!!!

and Force,

I mean, what 6 pills a day do to me....giving a dose 3 or 4 times that would be like attempted murder in my mind.
You can't be serious, at thoses dosages the kidneys would be toast in no time.....are they figuring might as well, or the virus will get ya...we can always put new kidneys in....or what??

mb
Yes the treatment for the Sars virus is extreme I was complaining to my liver specialist how I felt on 6 pills of Ribarivirn and he told me what the Sars patients are taking.

They are also closely monitored and hospitalized it is a very contagious disease.
Ribavirin was originally designed as a cure for the Flu. It works too.
The Company that developed it whose name escapes me ran trials for this but the trials were inconclusive. The Co said the trails that showed it didnt work were flawed.
They got into a bun fight with the FDA and lost, went broke and got bought out by someone.
It is available in Mexico and several other countries as a cure for the Flu.
As are the Riba pro drugs.

CS
It's sold as an inhaler for the flu in Mexico. Also, if I remember correctly, it's approved for some pediatric uses in this country.
Organizations (governments and businesses around the world) continually prepare for pandemics.  It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.  Various influenza virus strains could be the eventual culprits.  Currently, there are 4 anti-virals that are FDA approved for stockpiling; amanatdine, rimantidine, zanamivir and oseltamivir ( Note: Copyman, I think we have a rhyme for teleprivir now).

Ribavirin is not one of those listed.  But being a suspicicious person, I have a theory of why riba is not a suggest 'stockpiled' anti-viral.  If governments and business were to create significant stockpiles of ribavirin they could be accused of accumulating weapons of mass destruction. And we all know what that could cause.
I did remember something right then. Two bottles left in the fridge for the next sniffle, or SARS out break. Ain't life sweet.

Harry