Hepatitis C Community

ribavirin dose

Now I am confused. After reading some of the other post I thought I would put it out there what I am doing. They have me on 1000 mg day, I am 114lb female.  Does this sound like to much????  I started tx last thursday, doing triple lead in with Vic.

Mo
<75 kg (165 lb.)  recommeded dose is 1000  so you are good to go...
Having said that it is 19mg per kg of weight  which is at the high end of dosage, Have the doctor keep a frequent eye on your labs(especially HGB.)
Always better to err on the side of enough dose rather than too little   for best results

Good luck ...and congrats on getting started
Will
Studies with Victrelis showed the patient was given weight-based ribavirin (600-1400 mg/day orally divided twice daily.  At 114 lbs 800 mg of ribavirin would be in range but if you tolerate 1000 mg that it all the better and at this point I don't think you're being over prescribed.  It's important to get that viral load down during the first 4 weeks and ribavirin stops the virus from replicating.
800 would be for your weight but if you don't develop bad anemia, the more the merrier. I asked the doctor to increase mine from 800 I wanted every bit of the arsenal I could get.
Thanks, they have me doing my labs every two weeks. So, that sounds about right.

Thanks to all for taking time to answer questions.