Hepatitis C Community

ribavirin information

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribavirin

Pharmacokinetics

Ribavirin is absorbed from the GI tract probably by nucleoside transporters. Absorption is about 45%, and this is modestly increased (to about 75%) by a fatty meal. Once in the plasma, ribavirin is transported through the cell membrane also by nucleoside transporters.
Ribavirin is widely distributed in all tissues, including the CSF and brain. The pharmacokinetics of ribavirin is dominated by trapping of the phosphate form inside cells, particularly red blood cells (RBCs) which lack the enzyme to remove the phosphate once it has been added by kinases, and therefore attain high concentrations of the drug. Most of the kinase activity which converts the drug to active nucleotide form, is provided by adenine kinase. This enzyme is more active in virally infected cells.
The volume of distribution of ribavirin is large (2000 L/kg) and the length of time the drug is trapped varies greatly from tissue to tissue. The mean half-life for multiple doses in the body is about 12 days, but very long-term kinetics are dominated by the kinetics of RBCs (half-life 40 days). RBCs store ribavirin for the lifetime of the cells, releasing it into the body's systems when old cells are degraded in the spleen.
About a third of absorbed ribavirin is excreted into the urine unchanged, and the rest is excreted into urine as the de-ribosylated base 1,2,4-triazole 3-carboxamide, and the hydrolysis product of this, 1,2,4-triazole 3-carboxylic acid.
Thank you for posting this, Dave.  I was worried about virus hanging around in my brain once this is over.  Now I have hope that the ribaviron is kicking it to the curb everywhere it is hiding.  Good news!!
It's from wikipedia, but it was very simply put and hopefully accurate information.

a 30% boost by adding some healthy fat seems a worthwhile strategy. thanks for the info
Yea, Thanks so much for this post. I failed SOC 6 years ago and maybe part of it was that I eat a super low fat diet. My doc didnt say anything about taking Riba with fat.

Next time Vitamin D Teleprevir SOC with Riba lead in and Fat w/Riba
I wouldn't exactly look at it that way.  It isn't that ribavirin was designed to be taken with fat.  I tend to think that the higher absorption of ribavirin when taken with high-fat foods is a value-added learned-later kind of thing.  So there's how ribavirin is supposed to perform and then there's giving it's performance a boost.  So I wouldn't exactly say that not taking it with fat was part of why SOC failed for you...but rather that taking it with fat might make it work better for you.  Get my drift?  
Thank You for explaining this to us in such a good way. or @ least thanks for taking the time to find this information.