A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

ribavirin information

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribavirin

Pharmacokinetics

Ribavirin is absorbed from the GI tract probably by nucleoside transporters. Absorption is about 45%, and this is modestly increased (to about 75%) by a fatty meal. Once in the plasma, ribavirin is transported through the cell membrane also by nucleoside transporters.
Ribavirin is widely distributed in all tissues, including the CSF and brain. The pharmacokinetics of ribavirin is dominated by trapping of the phosphate form inside cells, particularly red blood cells (RBCs) which lack the enzyme to remove the phosphate once it has been added by kinases, and therefore attain high concentrations of the drug. Most of the kinase activity which converts the drug to active nucleotide form, is provided by adenine kinase. This enzyme is more active in virally infected cells.
The volume of distribution of ribavirin is large (2000 L/kg) and the length of time the drug is trapped varies greatly from tissue to tissue. The mean half-life for multiple doses in the body is about 12 days, but very long-term kinetics are dominated by the kinetics of RBCs (half-life 40 days). RBCs store ribavirin for the lifetime of the cells, releasing it into the body's systems when old cells are degraded in the spleen.
About a third of absorbed ribavirin is excreted into the urine unchanged, and the rest is excreted into urine as the de-ribosylated base 1,2,4-triazole 3-carboxamide, and the hydrolysis product of this, 1,2,4-triazole 3-carboxylic acid.
17 Responses
Thank you for posting this, Dave.  I was worried about virus hanging around in my brain once this is over.  Now I have hope that the ribaviron is kicking it to the curb everywhere it is hiding.  Good news!!
It's from wikipedia, but it was very simply put and hopefully accurate information.

1431734 tn?1421015271
a 30% boost by adding some healthy fat seems a worthwhile strategy. thanks for the info
Yea, Thanks so much for this post. I failed SOC 6 years ago and maybe part of it was that I eat a super low fat diet. My doc didnt say anything about taking Riba with fat.

Next time Vitamin D Teleprevir SOC with Riba lead in and Fat w/Riba
I wouldn't exactly look at it that way.  It isn't that ribavirin was designed to be taken with fat.  I tend to think that the higher absorption of ribavirin when taken with high-fat foods is a value-added learned-later kind of thing.  So there's how ribavirin is supposed to perform and then there's giving it's performance a boost.  So I wouldn't exactly say that not taking it with fat was part of why SOC failed for you...but rather that taking it with fat might make it work better for you.  Get my drift?  
Thank You for explaining this to us in such a good way. or @ least thanks for taking the time to find this information.
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.