Hepatitis C Community

ribavirin twice a day?

My meds just arrived and the riba says take 400mg in the morning and at night.  I was under the impression it HAD to be taken 3x a day to be effective.  I have the genotype that's easier to treat (2b I think, but can't remember right now).  Does anybody know if this is right?  Should I call the dr just to be sure?  I also need to know if I should keep the riba in the fridge with the pegasys?
this is a good question. I'm geno 2 and was told by my dr who is a professor to take it ONCE a day. I was taking 4 pills at night. I phone his nurse who said it didn't matter. I'm just completing my third week and had a horrible attack of the sweats yesterday morning. I have changed my routine to 2 about 4pm and last 2 at 9:30 at night. Taking 2 in the morning might prove too heavy to go to work on. Please let me know if you find out different,

Good luck to you, and me

Pete
We'll wait for someone else to chime in, but to my recollection, Riba is twice a day.  800 mg per day is a very low dose though, most people are on 1200 mg per day, but perhaps that is the standard dose for G2, not sure.  Also, your Riba does not need to go in the fridge.
Advocate1955
   Yes, for genotype 2, 800 mgs IS the standard dosage. It is to be taken twice a day.  It could be taken once a day, as it stays in the system for a very long time, but then it may cause stomach upset.
   So it is best to take it twice a day. Some people find it causes insomnia, so you could take 2 in the morning and 2 pills at 6 pm,  etc.
    The "every 8 hr" dosage is only for us genotype 1's...because we take our riba pills withour protease inhibiotor pills, which have to be every 8 hrs, or we may develope a tolerance or resistance, to the third med we have to take, which we refer to as either "victrleis" or "incivek" (aka as boceprevir or teleprivir"
     I never had any side effects fromthe ribaviran pills, but I always made
sure that I took them with a full meal, and they are absorbed better when eaten with some calories that include fat.  I got my "fat" calories from peanut-butter and whole milk mostly, during the daytime.
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store ribavirin tablets and capsules at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Store ribavirin oral solution in the refrigerator or at room temperature. Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication. It seems like my other two friends have you covered on anything else, good luck and Hi Advocate and B.
I agree with all but the throw away part, we really don't want this stuff in our water supply. In Phoenix, they have safe med return events, where they are correctly destroyed...Mark
Thanks to everyone for your quick responses.  I'm gonna keep it in the fridge for now, but I need to put it in my med box or I won't remember to put it in when I set up my meds for the week.  I'm on disability so I don't have to worry about work, but that just means I have all day to think about how crappy I feel.