Hepatitis C Community

small sore on corner of mouth

hey nothing major, it doesnt hurt.. just curious what is good for this while on tx? Other then that iam doing great w/sx and all, feel pretty much normal i just ache sometimes... i guess thats normal.. but really doable for me..
I had cracking in the corners of my mouth but not sores.
mine is like a small fever blister..i put gel on it
its not quite in the corner..
I've had that SX for the past 9 months.  it was driving me NUTS.

I believe it's called cheilitis.

Cheilosis (also called cheilitis) is a painful inflammation and cracking of the corners of the mouth. It sometimes occurs on only one side of the mouth, but usually involves both sides.

My NP prescribed ertaczo (an anti-fungal ointment) a month ago and it's almost disappeared.

wyntre

i started using
...you started using........WHAT?

that cracked me up
really,

I'm serious, for once.

I don't get the funny part but this is one of those dense dull braindead days so pleeze let me in on the joke.

wyn

(you mean the anti fungal part????  there really is such a thing as mouth fungus and apparently i have it and what's more it seems to be common among tx'ers.  Don't know why.)
This might help...
So its a side effect of the interferon… hum

Incubation for 2 or 24 h of the patient's neutrophils with human recombinant interferon-gamma and granulocyte macrophage colony-stimulating factor did not correct their defective capability to undergo a respiratory burst However, cultivation of the patient's monocytes with interferon-gamma for prolonged times substantially enhanced their capability to produce hydrogen peroxide.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=
PubMed&list_uids=2117330&dopt=AbstractPlus

Other adverse reactions reported in ≥ 1% to ≤ 2% of HIV-HCV patients receiving Pegasys/ribavirin combination included: hyperlactacidaemia/lactic acidosis, influenza, pneumonia, affect lability, apathy, tinnitus, pharyngolaryngeal pain, ***cheilitis***, acquired lipodystrophy and chomaturia.

http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/Datasheet/p/PegasysRBVinjtab.htm

jasper

Thanks for trying to help . . . i think . . . .

although P.  "Incubation . . . . . hydrogen peroxide" really has me scratchin' my head . . .

Is THAT serious??????  especially the part about a respiratory burst????

Guess I'm getting punch-drunk on rib and peg . . .it's all starting to blur . . . the line between real and not, i mean . . . .

anyone else have THAT sx?

Game Over?

wyn
Hey, jasper,

ya really GOTTA stop reading that stuff!!!!!

I read somewhere it can cause all sorts of SX!  *LOL*

wyn
lol, not much else to find on it, but what the heck. Yeah I know, sound too much like life at the present time, lol.

jasper
sorry hon, there was a cut off part at the bottom of your post...that's what I was referring to.
i got it.

wyn
there's an antifungal component of the magic mouthwash, as well asn some benadryl and a mild anesthetic and an antiobiotic as well.

it's a five/fer
Maybe to much sex!! LOL
I am not sure about the corner of the mouth.  But, I do know that if you start to get blisters and sores inside the mouth the best thing is BIOTENE.  Works wonders for chemo patients.  If you use this throughout you may not even get any sores.  My husband went through stem cell and he used this and did not get the mouth sores; and if he felt one he would rinse more often and gone.  

Cajun