Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.3k Members

taking trazodone and having hep c

I was wondering since the medication trazodone can cause drug induced hepatitis  would it be bad for me to take it if I already have viral hepaitis c?
6 Responses
Obviously you need medical advice about this. It seems that cases of trazodone induced hepatitis are pretty rare, but it might not be the best choice if you have hep c.

Trazodone is a bit sedating which is useful if you are anxious and restless as well as depressed, but there are other good choices which a competent physician should be willing to discuss with you. In the UK some hep doctors prefer amitryptaline at night as an effective AD during treatment as it can help you to sleep. But others go with one of the less 'uppy' SSRIs (i.e. not Prozac)or Effexor (venlafaxine)

Get your doctor's advice on this one.
It's what my hepc dr prescribed to help me sleep so it can't be too hard on the liver.
Any comments on taking trazodone when hep c positive?  my bf was diagnosed w/ hep c 6 years ago, has had 2 biopsies w/ the 2nd one last month showing small changes to his liver, but no recommendation for treatment yet.  anyway, he has a hard time sleeping, ambien doesnt always help, and he also has some depression, so we thought this might be a good medication for him.  thanks in advance.  -atlgirl
602261 tn?1252586758
I take trazadone every night. I've been on it for five years with no negative side effects. Both my doctor and my GI agreed that when I started treatment I should stay on the medicine. I sleep pretty soundly every night and without it I really don't know what I would do. It's non narcotic and non habit forming if it wasn't for trazadone I would be in a mental hospital right now. I went twenty one days without sleep and nothing worked. They gave me trazadone and I've been sleeping fine ever since. Look into it seriously all I can tell you is what I know and that I've personally never had a problem with it. I just have a horrible case of insomnia for some reason but other than that I'm a healthy, well adjusted person and I don't take any AD's. Good luck.
I'm taking Trazadone for sleep but I'm only getting 3-6hrs a night.  I'm on 30mg of the medication for nearly a month and I take 2.5mg of meletonin.  I don't find it to be very helpful overall.
He's better off speaking to his doctor with regards to his sleep issues and his hep c.  
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.