Hepatitis C Community

treatment and osteoporisis

Has anyone heard that the meds can cause osteoporisis.  I know of 3 people who have taked Hep C meds and just interferon for MS that now are on Fosamax for Osteoporisis.  
I am 47 with osteopina.  I have Hepatitis C, 2b, with 50 million viral load.. my ALT was 40 last year and 20 last test.  Had liver biopsy on 8-19.  Dr.  will treat if liver damage.   Just trying to learn if I took Fosmax now or Calcium supplements with meds would this help.  Also, others who have taken the meds did you get osteoporisis? Thanks for your information.  

Tina
Tina,
I can't help you with the question of if you get osteo effects from treatment, but I can tell you that I am on Actonel along with doing treatment.  I developed osteoperosis at 42 years old and before treatment.  I think that based on my experience, I would say that osteo effects (I also have osteoarthritis) may come from the hcv, not the treatment for hcv.  That would just be my guess.
Smiles, Sue
I would concur and confirm what Sue said. I was diagnosed with full blown osteoporosis in my upper spine at age 46. Primary care doc chalked it up to early menopause although she did allow as how unusual it was. Knowing what I know now I would have to think that Living with HCV for close to 30 years may very well have something to do with it. I agressively treat it taking both Fosomax and Miacalcin. I also do upper body strength training and walk a lot. (and I eat and drink tons of yogurt, take calcium, etc.) In the 8 years I've been treating I have completely reversed the situation, and moved from osteoporosis to osteopaenia to green on the dexxa scan in some sections of my spine and hips.

My Hepatoligist was fully aware of the extent of my problems (multiple multiple compression fractures) when I made the decision to treat the virus and he saw no risk/made no mention of the possibility of Peg/Riba worsening the whole situation. He is convinced that if I manage to clear the virus I will end up feeling better then I have in decades. My fingers are always crossed and I'm counting the weeks.

Good Luck to you,

Tracy
Tracy,
Interesting that you went through early menopause.  I did, also.  I think that is also an effect from hcv.  I went through menopause at only 38 years old.  I am going to try eating yogurt like you mentioned.  I hope to be able to get some reverse of bone loss, too.  Thanks for your input, that helped me a lot.
Smiles, Sue
Thank you ladies.  I appreciate your information.  I have appt with doc on 8-31 will ask what he thinks also.  My concern was mainly not getting it from the meds.. so.. perhaps its just from having the Hep C then.  It was the one thing a friend told me she would of done differently 5 years ago when fighting the virus and taking inferon.  She too wondered if it came on from the treatment or just came on from age and the virus.

Thanks for the support too!  I have only known I have this virus for about a month... and I am still learning so very much.  

Take care.

Tina
I too have Osteopenia.  It was diagnosed at the same physical in which the hep c was diagnosed.  I began taking Fosamax one month before taking the Peg/Copeg.  AFter reading some of the concerns that hep c patients have about bone loss around the teeth, I was really glad I had been put on the Fosamax

This is part of an article I copied from the internet entitiled "Women's Issues with Hepatitis C - Side Effect Management.  The whole article which is excellent is located at:

http://liverdisease.com/womenhcv.html

All contents of this article are Copyright
I had a DEXA scan (normal thank God) and they put me on 1500mg of calcium daily. I am pretty much done w/menopause for one thing...it can't hurt for another...my bones ache enough thank you very much...stress fractures? we don't need no stinkin stress fractures!  
Cin
Well the ladies seem to think they have a corner on the market for osteoporosis.  Sorry ladies.  I have severe osteoporosis in the left hip and lower spine, osteopenia in the right hip, as of 2 years ago.  Never got a scan last year.  I'm pretty sure that in my case it's not related to menopause.  But bone density loss is associated with prostate cancer, which I had successfully treated in 2002 (surgery).  Since it is also associated with hepC, I guess I got the double whammy.  I was on Fosamax, but after I had bleeding varices, I was taken off, as there was speculation that the drug, which is very erosive, had been a contributing factor.

Avidreader, that's very impressive, how you reversed the damage.  Now that I'm not on Peg anymore, I guess I need to find out if I can resume some kind of tx for my bones.  I asked about Miacalcin once, and my GP said studies had shown it was not effective.  Guess I need to start reading.

dA

I have read on this site that there are a few people who take fosomax. I too wanted to give it a try for treatment of my osteoporosis but am hesitant because of the things I have read on how it is damaging to the liver. Does anyone have something to say about this?

sites that I have read this at:

www.eantiaging.com/library/html/n_2_419.html

www.mercola.com/2000/aug/20/fosomax_liver.htm

www.healthboards.com/boards/printhread.php?t=76907

www.yourfamilyhealthsolutions.com/fosomax/liver.html
I would push for the Miacalcin. If you have any compression/stress fractures it has the added benefit of reducing the pain. It is most often prescribed for people who can't/won't take Fosomax or Actonel. I'm surprised your doc was unimpressed with it. Everything I've read sounds good and my doctor put me on it immediately--even before the Fosomax. The nice thing is it's one spray up your nostril a day--almost no side effects.
what about the fosomax? my question is posted above, thanks.
sorry, i wasn't reading everything. i understand the fosomax thing now.
I have osteoarthritis and a sever injury in my left ankle, I wear a brace and walking or exercising is almost out of the question. I'm not supposed to pick up anything over a pound and I have lost 1/2 inch in leg length. I also went through menapuse early. Maybe I had hep then. I'm not sure. I need a good Dr. They have not treated me except with pain meds. I also have herniated disc in back and degenerative ones. I eat plenty of yogurt, hope this helps. on limited income and no precription insurance. Just have medicare. I know how painful this can be. I had been telling PCP that my muscles were hurting terribly. Is this related to Hep C? Seems like I have been ignored by Dr. If you have a good one you are blessed. My prayers are with you all.