Hepatitis C Community

treatment

i have just been told i have hep c type 2, dont know for how long. doc wants to start treatment for 6 mo. he did ultrasound and everything looked fine, i have no symptoms and my enzymes are only slightly high. not sure about this tx it dont sound good.has anybody heard of this herbal? cure on hepatitesccure.net?  or know of new drugs coming out that are better?
Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry about your diagnosis. Only treatment can CURE HCV not herbs. And niether an ultrasound nor liver enzymes will indicate the extent of your liver damage, only a biopsy can do that. Most people have no symptoms even when their liver damage is severe. I don't know about your genotype (I am/was 1a), but I don't think your Dr can predict your treatment length either. There are, however, other drugs coming out in a few years. However, you need to find a different Dr the has experience with HCV (a hepatologist or GI that is very experienced) and find out the extent of your liver damage before you can decide if you have time to wait for the all orals. In the mean time, live a healthy lifestyle with whole organic foods (as little processed food as possible), get plenty of exercise, no street drugs, and absolutley no alcohol. Good luck and keep us posted.
Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. If one is to be diagnosed with HCV then genotype 2 is actually the best type to  have contracted as it has the highest cure rate of all the types

The therapy consists of the combination treatment of Interferon /Ribavirin and usually is for a duration of  24 weeks with an efficay rate of approx.80%

Ultrasound  will not give a good indication of how much liver damage ( fibrosis) you have or neither will your enzyme levels.

Biopsy and /or a fibroscan  along with often a "fibrosure blood marker test are the best tests being used today to ascertain this,however many doctors do not feel a liver damage assesment is necessary for Geno type 2 patients if one intends to treat anyway being there is such a high cure rate for this genotype

The treatment usually comes with a varying degree of side effects from very mild to sometimes more severe,and one would not know the extent of these until tx. is underway.

There is currently no herbal cure for HCV and in fact many herbs are known to damage the liver.

Best to talk to a specialist (either a gastroenterologist or a hepatologist ) about your condition and possibly a treatment plan.

I have linked (below) all the up to date info. on  G2 ,including the  current treatment regimes  as well as possible future thaerpies being tested

Best to you and welcome to the group....

Will

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1478-3231.2011.02710.x/full

excert)

Patients infected with genotype 2 HCV are an ‘easy-to-treat’ population. As a result of the very high successful response rate and the possibility of shortening the duration of treatment in nearly all patients who achieve an RVR in the absence of cirrhosis, treatment of HCV-2 with a standard combination of PEG-IFN/RBV may be continued.

welcome to the forum where u will get tons of help/ the best available and lots of support. i was geno 2 and if u check my journal u can see how mine went. every one is different but i was older and maybe more advanced but it sure is the best geno if u have to have tx. best of luck, babs824
You need to find out how healthy your liver is before proceeding with treatment.
A biopsy will show the stage of fibrosis. Many of us don't feel sick even when we have advanced liver disease. This is why a biopsy is important.

If you liver is stage 0-1 you could easily wait for the new all oral meds currently doing well in clinical trials. If your fibrosis is further advanced you may chose to do the treatment now.

If you look in my profile, there is a list of questions for your doctor.

Good luck.
Speaking for the minority position, I am just about certain that the odds of a healthy happy life are higher w/o treatment than with, especially if you can abstain from alcohol and undertake a really good diet and course of living.  

You will then not risk losing a small to large piece of your soul, of your essence, which is too often what interferon takes.   You will not expose yourself to risks of a myriad of other autoimmune disorders that might manifest themselves anywhere from the time of treatment to years down the road.    

Don't treat and you may end up with cirrhosis at 75 - so what?  Get cirrhosis at 75, and odds are even it won't kill you before 85.  You may also die in a car wreck in 5 years.   You might perish from widespread civil unrest in 20 years.

Treat and you may be cured.  80% cure is likely a titch optimistic.  You know you will be sick.  You know you will lose six months to a year now, as opposed to the year(s) you may or may not lose at the end of life.  Many assumptions of cure in these forums.  Treat and thou shalt be cured.  We're all optimists on the front end.  And a "cure" (being defined as eradication of the virus) doesn't mean it saved you from anything.  Odds are very high the virus won't kill you anyway.

The taking of the drug also increases, I am convinced, the long term probabilities of other life-threatening complications.  

You have Hep C.  You face a dilemma.  Is either course of action a much better odds play than the other?  Very likely not.

Again, spiritual work is probably as good of treatment as pharmaceutical.  Interferon combo treatment is the only thing Pfizer and Roche want you to think about, but treatment can actually take many forms.  You don't have to inject your body with poison to treat it.

It also depends on what you value and how you want to live.  We all die.  Nobody in America wants to talk about it or face it or see it in the light of day, but that's the way it is.  Spend your time living in fighting unavoidable death (with the not insignificant risk of actually hastening it!) or spend your time living in living.    

So says the minority on these boards.

Oh my,

After infection, the immune system reacts to hepatitis C by trying to rid the liver of infected cells. It is this immune response that can cause liver inflammation, and this inflammation leads to scarring. As the immune system attempts to isolate infected cells, scarring worsens.

As the liver becomes more scarred, it hardens and becomes less elastic. This makes it increasingly difficult for blood and other fluids to flow through it.

Even though the liver can operate when badly damaged, the continuous effect of hepatitis C can slowly interfere with liver function. Complications then occur when the liver is unable to carry out important tasks.

These complications include: fatty liver (steatosis), jaundice, oesophageal varices, ascites, encephalopathy, portal hypertension, kidney damage, thyroid disease, diabetes, and appetite and weight loss resulting in malnutrition.

Hepatitis C outside the liver

Hepatitis C (HCV) can cause other serious medical conditions that occur outside of the liver during chronic infection. Some are more common than others. These conditions can be treated (or will resolve if HCV treatment is successful). Many are related to problems with your immune system.

Diabetes: inadequate production or use of insulin.

Essential mixed cryoglobulinemia: the presence of abnormal proteins in the bloodstream that thicken the blood, causing blood vessels to become inflamed. Essential mixed cryoglobulinaemia involves a mixture of different antibodies that can cause joint pain and swelling, Raynaud's phenomenon (pain and whitening of fingertips and toes in cold weather) purplish patches on the skin, enlargement of the spleen, and neurological, renal and cardiac disease.

HCV-related arthritis: Inflammation and swelling of small joints.

Keratoconjunctivitis sicca: eye dryness, caused by a deficiency in the production of tears.

Lichen planus: a skin condition causing flat, purplish, itchy patches inside the mouth and on the wrists, ankles, legs, lower back, neck, genitals and -- less commonly -- the nails and scalp (leading to hair loss).

Non-Hodgkin B-cell lymphoma: a cancer occurring in lymphocytes (white blood cells). Symptoms may include swollen glands, fever, night sweats, fatigue and weight loss.

Porphyria cutanea tarda: a skin disorder that causes extreme sensitivity to sunlight; blisters may develop in areas exposed to the sun and skin may become very fragile. Pigmentation and hair growth may increase.

Sjögren's Syndrome: dryness of the eyes and mouth, occurring with joint inflammation. Can also cause skin dryness, rash, thyroid problems, fatigue, fever, nasal irritation and bleeding, and vaginal dryness

Vitiligo: loss of skin pigment, resulting in pale patches.

http://www.thebody.com/content/art53724.html