Your doctor may be referring to ‘Infergen’, also known as consensus interferon and alphacon-1. This is typically reserved for hard to treat patients that have a history of non-response, relapse, etc. It isn’t available in pegylated form, hence the daily injections. WE have members here that have used it before, and a couple that are using it currently.
Some people report significant side effects with this treatment; more so than the weekly peg IFN’s. It’s usually prescribed in combination with ribavirin; some docs believe it’s more efficacious than the current treatments, and others don’t hold it in high regard. One thing about it is it’s been around for quite a while; I believe it predates the peg interferons.
Just to bring some info into this discussion, on Zoogie's profile it says
stopped treatment after 73 weeks of monotherapy due to relapse or viral breakthrough (not clear)
not able to take riba due to being allergic
I'm very sorry for what you are going through. I am wondering how much liver damage you have. If not much it would maybe be wise to wait until we have some for you more suitable drugs coming.
I wonder if there are any trials going where meds actually work without the riba.
But it would be tricky to experiment with it, as one does not want to build up resitance to the new PI's, in case it does not work.
Telaprevir is definitely out of the question for us geno 3's.
Wishing you all the best!!!!!
‘Zoogie’ is cirrhotic, with a MELD score between 13-20. She broke out in rash so bad, it got infected, and they were initially going to transfuse to get the riba out of her system; apparently, that wasn’t necessary. I spoke with her a little in private message; she’s seeing good doctors with the Texas liver clinic.
Thanks for letting me know...
I really hope that you will be able to find a solution.
I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.