Hepatitis C Community

venlafaxine

I was prescribed venlafaxine recently and it was a nightmare. I was wondering if anyone else has had any experiences with it and other medicines used to combat the depression that seems to come and go with this disease.
The stress of having hepatitis C may cause certain individuals to becomes clinically depressed but that is not inherit in the disease itself. Depression is not a symptom of HCV or liver disease.

Effexor XR is only one of many anti-depressants. There are also different categories of these drugs. The drugs work in different ways and the choice of anti-depressant should be based on the type of depression experienced by the patient. (Major Depression, Anxiety Depression, Atypical Depression) Anti-depressant treatment is based on each individual's response to treatment. A med that works for one person may not work for another. It is a trial and error process unfortunately. There is no "magic bullet" when it comes to anti-depressants.

Cheers!
Hector
Thanks I wish there were more magic bullets around.

I have read the following though in
Why Depression is Likely With Hepatitis C

January 19, 2009
...
3. Biological Result of HCV – This theory describes the potential for the Hepatitis C virus to negatively affect the central nervous system bringing about depression. Although not directly proven, this hypothesis is supported by studies demonstrating that HCV directly causes fatigue and other neuro-cognitive symptoms. Adair and colleagues used gene expression analysis to evaluate gene expression in HCV-infected patients and a control group. The researchers found a difference in the expression of 29 genes, including those involved in brain oxidative and energy metabolism. These findings support a biological basis for the link between HCV infection and depression. Additionally, Hepatitis C viral particles noted to cause chemical changes that could initiate depressive symptoms have been found in the central nervous system.