Hepatitis C Community

victrelis left outside

friday i got my shipment and put the peg and riba in the refrig but somehow ( brain fog) the victrelis ended up still in the styoform box unopened, and got put out on the back patio until sun pm when i went to collect all the boxes for trash day. i freaked! and cried and screamed.
and called the merck nurse and she didn't know what to say so she gave me a number for merck and i called this am and they told me it is stable up to 77 degrees for 3 months. they did not see a problem. they told me it can be kept at room temp as long as i use it in 3 months. my argument was the weather was cool in houston, but it might have been higher than 77 for a few hours.  I have no idea really.
it was in the shade....but I am still frightened. I emailed my NP. I would like your comments.
it does not seem like Merck really wanted to send me a new package just to be sure.
i have really taken a beating with the brain fog this time. thanks
Hi there...

Because it was in the shade and you say was for the most part was cool were your are ,it would seem that the efficacy of the drug in all likelihood would not have been affected as  Merck advised . Also even if it got to above 77 it  sounds like that may have only been for a brief period ,and most medicines effectiveness will not break down  unless stored continuously above the recommended temp for a prolong period.

VICTRELIS capsules may also be stored at room temperature up to 77°F (25°C) for 3
months.
• Keep VICTRELIS in a tightly closed container and away from heat

http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/v/victrelis/victrelis_mg.pdf

Also you need not store Riba in the fridge:

The bottle of REBETOL (ribavirin) Capsules should be stored at 25°C (77°F); excursions permitted to 15° to 30°C (59° to 86°F) [see USP Controlled Room Temperature].

Good luck with you treatment..
Will

months.

Let me try that again..it's early

Hi there...

months.

Good luck with your treatment..
Will

my NP / md said the same thing you did. and they live here with me...they knew how cool it was this week end for houston tx  so I think I am calm now. thanks for your help!
I'm not sure if you are referring to a months' worth, or not, but I actuallu take mine out of the refridgerator, and keep in my cubboard, for the weak that I use mine. I keep it in my kitchen, where there is no heater, and I'm in NorCal~
   But I'm glad you made the post, because it got me thinking...summer is approaching, and saturday was RLY hot here in Cali. I think I will start keeping my Victrelis in the fridgie now~  take care : )
my parent had keep my Rebetol cap,in the freezer about one week,i was afraid that it damage the capsules,what should i do?
Call the drug manufacturing company and ask the nurse representative about this. The drug company number should be contained in the package insert/information. You could also cal your supplying pharmacy and the pharmacist, but I think calling the drug company should get better results. Plus, they may replace it for you if they think it is damaged.