Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
548642 tn?1266179652

what to tell people???

My parents know and so does my fiance but i feel that it is not anyone elses business!  but here lately people have been asking where have i been, why am i losing weight and look so pale!  plus to top it off i am always sick to my stomach so when i am around people i am friends with they question me!  what do i tell them!  i been saying i have a stomach virus ect but they are getting suspious because i have been on treatment 6 weeks~~~ what to say to keep them off my case???  cant say personal cause then they over react
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I did the same as others you are hearing from, I told them i had a fatty liver  that was pretty bad and had to be on chemo like meds to clear  it out other than family and one director no one really knew......
Helpful - 0
387294 tn?1207620185
Well, I don't think you need to tell them anything really.  I felt very strongly about this, only because this is the kind of person I am and I cope better in private.  If they say you don't look good, say you ok and change the subject.  Funny, no one noticed I wasn't feeling well or losing weight.   Good luck and support you personal choice to keep it you business.
Helpful - 0
I did the same as fretboard...
I had the same questions asked and told them I was on Chemo and that I didn't want to talk about it.  I told them I prefer to go about my work day without any questions from others. I told them it helps me feel more normal without people knowing, and most of the time it helps me to forget I'm on Chemo.  They never pried after that.

You'll find some people are concerned while others are just nosey.
Helpful - 0
408795 tn?1324935675
You can tell them that you are on chemotherapy, if they ask any questions after that then just say.  Hey I just told you I was on chemo, the rest is very personal.  God Bless
Helpful - 0
If you don't want to say you have hepC, tell them you have mononucleosis (mono / glandular fever) .  That can take a year to clear up and be very debilitating.

dointime
Helpful - 0
476246 tn?1418870914
It's difficult with friends, isn't it.

Personally, I have told my friends, as they are loving an compassionate and supportive. If one of my friends would be going through something like this, I would like to know to be able to support them or help them, if they need my help.

But of course everyone is different and I understand if you do not want to tell them. It might become difficult, if your sx get worse. Maybe you can tell them your ill and you are treating, but you'd rather not talk about it. It is already taking so much out of your life, that you at least don't want to have to think about it when you are together with them. And you would really appreciate, if they just carried on as they always had.

Marcia

Helpful - 0
288609 tn?1240096756
How about that you just haven't been feeling well lately. I have had some people at work asking me and others about my health. I have told just a couple of co-workers that I work closely with but the others I don't feel the need to tell. They are wondering why I don't have to work Saturdays and I am out a lot for MD apt. etc. When I have been asked directly I just joke that I have "issues" or evade the question with vague answers. This only lasted about a week or 2 and they have learned to stop asking. Not everyone needs to know.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community

Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473358451
DC
683231 tn?1467323017
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.