Hepatitis C Community

when to start treatment

My sister's doctor just diagnosed her as having Hepatitis C, he told her to wait 3 months and he would see her again. Why would he make her wait instead of treating her right away?
Perhaps to see if she clears it spontaneously.  She should probably have a viral load taken and a biposy, or at least ultrasound, to determine if any liver damage has occurred.

She also should be vaccinated against Hep A & B just to be safe.
Thank You, I will tell her.
Hey, Maybe you should tell your sister 'bout this forum.  It is imparitive that ya'll become educated on this disease as there are many and vaired opinions about when it is wise to start treatment. jerry
Thanks, I will let her know
I had to wait for treatment as well, to see if cleared naturally. Your sister may be in acute phase, but if she is, she probably is having her blood tracked (Alt or similar).

As to whether or not she should come to this forum, it depends on the person. Not everyone wants to know everything about their disease. I have read that there is about an even split in the population between those who would rather trust doctor, and those who want to learn everything they can.
I studied hepatitis C for over 3 years and got so immersed in the subject that I had to give it a rest for awhile. It was too much information. I think it's better to go slowly. I was sure I could find an natural cure, but if they have one it is deeply hidden.