Hepatitis C Community

zoloft question

i tried paxel...that just plan didn't work...now they gave me zoloft...100 mil..i cut them in half taking half a day...took it 3 days ago...then once each day...i'm stoned off of them...really sleepy ...is this normal??? i could sleep anywhere...anytime...my heart check up went great...no problems at all...i want to start tx in like 3 months or so...will this fatigue go away in a week or so...makes me wonder how many zombies are out there driving around eating this stuff like candy...i just want to head off mental trouble while on tx.....thanks...billy
"didn't work"

Work what?  Why are you taking these meds?
It should get better with time. Give it a good try. If you are still too sleepy after several weeks, you can always reduce the dose.

Does it help your depression? When I was depressed, I didn't sleep for weeks, just couldn't. So I welcomed being sleepy. I took Paxil for 5 years and then got off it. There were some side effects in the first weeks, but everything got back to normal eventually. My mood was a little "flat" (usually I get excited and nervous about things), but I didn't mind that.

Why Paxil didn't work for you?
Zoloft 50 mg worked for me during tx, I am down to 25mg getting off of it, then i am going to take 12.5mg for a few weeks.  I guess I never noticed if it made me more tired or not, I always assumed it was the inf or the riba.

It is supposed to take two weeks for full effect.
Sometimes we have to tweak with brands and dosages before we find something that works for us. And also dosage times. Do you take yours before bedtime?

AD's had the opposite effect on me - getting me all hyper, so nightime doses were out of the question and even during the day, left me feeling edgy. Citalopram (Celexa) finally was the one that worked for me, and still on low doses and in the morning.

At least with the 3 months before tx starts, you'll be able to balance things out.
Good luck to you, Pam
Sleepy is the expected effect of these drugs. They inhibit the removal (uptake) of the chemical Seratonin. This is the brain chemical that "makes you sleepy". You probably find yourself yawning all the time.

Oddly enough, as others have mentioned, sometimes these same drugs make you tense and give you insomnia.

Go figure.

Most other people notice that they make you feel kind of dull emotionally - not really happy or sad, just kind of "stable". I don't think anyone really knows how this stuff works.

RBW
Antidepressants are of three main types

1. Monoamine oxidase inhibitors - MAOIs
   2. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors - SSRIs
   3. Tricyclics - TCAs
Trial and error and you should find one thats works well for you.Or maybe adjust the dosages.Some people take a combination of 2 antidepressants.