Hepatitis Social Community

US slipping in life expectancy rankings

Americans are living longer than ever, but not as long as people in 41 other countries.

For decades, the United States has been slipping in international rankings of life expectancy, as other countries improve health care, nutrition and lifestyles.

Countries that surpass the U.S. include Japan and most of Europe, as well as Jordan, Guam and the Cayman Islands.

"Something's wrong here when one of the richest countries in the world, the one that spends the most on health care, is not able to keep up with other countries," said Dr. Christopher Murray, head of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington.

A baby born in the United States in 2004 will live an average of 77.9 years. That life expectancy ranks 42nd, down from 11th two decades earlier, according to international numbers provided by the Census Bureau and domestic numbers from the National Center for Health Statistics.

Andorra, a tiny country in the Pyrenees mountains between France and Spain, had the longest life expectancy, at 83.5 years, according to the Census Bureau. It was followed by Japan, Macau, San Marino and Singapore.

The shortest life expectancies were clustered in Sub-Saharan Africa, a region that has been hit hard by an epidemic of HIV and AIDS, as well as famine and civil strife. Swaziland has the shortest, at 34.1 years, followed by Zambia, Angola, Liberia and Zimbabwe.

Researchers said several factors have contributed to the United States falling behind other industrialized nations. A major one is that 45 million Americans lack health insurance, while Canada and many European countries have universal health care, they say.

But "it's not as simple as saying we don't have national health insurance," said Sam Harper, an epidemiologist at McGill University in Montreal. "It's not that easy."

Among the other factors:

• Adults in the United States have one of the highest obesity rates in the world. Nearly a third of U.S. adults 20 years and older are obese, while about two-thirds are overweight, according to the National Center for Health Statistics.

"The U.S. has the resources that allow people to get fat and lazy," said Paul Terry, an assistant professor of epidemiology at Emory University in Atlanta. "We have the luxury of choosing a bad lifestyle as opposed to having one imposed on us by hard times."

• Racial disparities. Black Americans have an average life expectancy of 73.3 years, five years shorter than white Americans.

Black American males have a life expectancy of 69.8 years, slightly longer than the averages for Iran and Syria and slightly shorter than in Nicaragua and Morocco.

• A relatively high percentage of babies born in the U.S. die before their first birthday, compared with other industrialized nations.

Forty countries, including Cuba, Taiwan and most of Europe had lower infant mortality rates than the U.S. in 2004. The U.S. rate was 6.8 deaths for every 1,000 live births. It was 13.7 for Black Americans, the same as Saudi Arabia.

"It really reflects the social conditions in which African American women grow up and have children," said Dr. Marie C. McCormick, professor of maternal and child health at the Harvard School of Public Health. "We haven't done anything to eliminate those disparities."

Another reason for the U.S. drop in the ranking is that the Census Bureau now tracks life expectancy for a lot more countries — 222 in 2004 — than it did in the 1980s. However, that does not explain why so many countries entered the rankings with longer life expectancies than the United States.

Murray, from the University of Washington, said improved access to health insurance could increase life expectancy. But, he predicted, the U.S. won't move up in the world rankings as long as the health care debate is limited to insurance.

Policymakers also should focus on ways to reduce cancer, heart disease and lung disease, said Murray. He advocates stepped-up efforts to reduce tobacco use, control blood pressure, reduce cholesterol and regulate blood sugar.

"Even if we focused only on those four things, we would go along way toward improving health care in the United States," Murray said. "The starting point is the recognition that the U.S. does not have the best health care system. There are still an awful lot of people who think it does."
Well said!

One of the seven deadly sins!
Have you seen Sicko, yet? I haven't but plan to.
   I don't think the solution is particulars like regulating blood pressure rather than providing healthy food, encouraging healthy diets. They just want to cover it up with something else we need to buy.
    The way I see the problem can be whittled down to:  Care replaced by Greed. Compassion replaced by the bottom line. Now, we reap what has been sown.  Greed replaced public transit with private cars. Greed replaced small family farms with agribusiness. Greed replaced self sustaining windmills with electric poles.   Greed replaced healthy food for fast nutritionless eatables. Greed took what was the common good and handed it to corporate sponsors.  
              The solution: a change in consciousness.
    That's my humble opinion.            Oh
Bravo!
Maybe you missed  "Kimberlynn's" post over on the other side titled "He won't go".
"He" has HCV and appears to be an alcoholic. I don't want to give the wrong advice but it seems that she has to stop drinking herself (among other things)  if she wants to help me. I know you've had some experience in this.
very profound - applaud!
You are SO right.  A change in consciousness is essential - along with universal health coverage, which would include a major revamping of the concept of preventive medicine.  Our present system pays lip service to lifestyle, but doesn't provide the resources necessary for people to change.

Also, the article implies that the disparity is caused by the shortened life expectancy of African Americans, who eat the wrong foods and don't exercise.  This may indeed be so, but if those "fat, lazy" African Americans had health insurance proportionate to their numbers in our population, I have a hunch the statistics would be very different.  Many people have never been told how to eat and how to maintain a healthy lifestyle, because they never see doctors or nurses.  How can they without insurance?  By the time poor folks get medical care, it's usually too late.

Another thing I object to in the article is the assumption that wealth causes people to eat foods that make them gain weight.  This may be true for middle-class people, but the most fattening substances are generally the cheapest.  I remember being a poverty-stricken student and living on mac and cheese and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and stuff like that - the equation then was calories per dollar.  And believe me, without intending to, I started to put on the pounds.  It's difficult to feel full on cheap food, so you eat more of it, and then you get sick.