Hepatitis Social Community

Free Speech

The FDA thinks walnuts are drugs

If you're skeptical that what I'm saying here is true, take a look at the warning letter the FDA sent to Diamond Food, Inc. back in February concerning the health claims the company had been making about its walnuts.

Diamond Food, Inc., a large producer of nuts and nut products, had put some information on its website about the health benefits of walnuts (which are rich in omega-3 fatty acids). Some of this information included the following statements (all of which are verifiably true):

1) "Studies indicate that the omega-3 fatty acids found in walnuts may help lower cholesterol; protect against heart disease, stroke and some cancers; ease arthritis and other inflammatory diseases; and even fight depression and other mental illnesses."

2) "[O]mega-3 fatty acids inhibit tumor growth that is promoted by the acids found in other fats..."

3) "[I]n treating major depression, for example, omega-3s seem to work by making it easier for brain cell receptors to process mood-related signals from neighboring neurons."

4) "The omega-3s found in fish oil are thought to be responsible for the significantly lower incidence of breast cancer in Japanese women as compared to women in the United States."

All of these statements are true and have been demonstrated in various scientific studies about omega-3s. In fact, the University of Maryland has a complete reference page about the benefits of omega-3s that verifies the statements made by Diamond Food. Sixty-five different scientific studies are cited on that reference page alone!

WARNING LETTER

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/ucm202825.htm

http://www.naturalnews.com/028879_censorship_healing_foods.html

Freedom of Speech regarding walnuts?
I agree completely, nuts should be awarded free speech. Not that they aren’t well represented; in fact, nuts post in here constantly…
:)
Rocker,you sure are popular on this site.

What's next desegregation of party nuts?
Seems like only a year ago we were all going to die from swine flu.....  I'm kinda surprised that H1N1 is no longer the subject of such urgent and frequent posts.

Now we should say goodbye to the ocean and become convinced that the FDA is going to regulate nuts.

I think people become weary of such posts.  One can find hysteria elsewhere.  I'd suggest that having a more positive attitude about things could have beneficial effects on our health.  I think being stuck in the fight or flight mindset or the tendancy to *awfulize* things may impact on our already fragile health.  I just don't think that it is a public service to the board reading how terrible things are.

Regarding nuts...... since starving people may end up losing body mass or even their hair or many natural body functions maybe almost any any food could claim that eating could improve skin tone, breast size, increase sexual vigor, promote hair growth, et al.

What the FDA is doing is trying to reign in food producers from making wild claims about the benefits of their food.  This protection may be a service to the public since it is well documented that people often tend to believe things that they "read on the internet".  A fair amount of what one reads on the internet is cr@p.  

I'd guess that some people would even stop taking their medications and try walnuts instead.  Ooops, I'm *sure* that Diamond wouldn't want that to happen, nor you Rocker.  And soooooo......I'm not so certain that the FDA is out of bounds here.

I hope that they continue this policy with other *drugs* like milk.

best,
Willy