Hepatitis Social Community

Heard It All Now

Shorter Legs in Women Linked to Liver Disease

Women with short legs may have a higher risk of liver disease, with both probably caused by diet or other factors early in life, British researchers reported on Monday.

Their study of 3,600 women showed that the shorter a woman's legs were, the more likely she was to have signs of liver damage.

The findings fit in with other studies linking leg length with diabetes and heart disease, Abigail Fraser of the University of Bristol and colleagues said.

"Adult liver function is affected by early life environmental exposures as reflected in leg length, and this may suggest common childhood influences on liver development and adult risk of diabetes and coronary heart disease," they wrote.

Fraser's team looked at women aged 60 to 79 who were taking part in a larger health study. They measured their leg length as compared to trunk length and also measured four liver enzymes: alanine aminotransferase, gamma-glutamyltransferase, aspartate transaminase and alkaline phosphatase.

"Each of these markers reflects a different aspect of potential liver damage," they wrote in their report, published in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health.

Leg length can point to how well a person was nourished in early childhood. "In particular, evidence shows that breast-feeding, high-energy intake at four years and childhood affluent socioeconomic position are all associated with longer adult leg length," Fraser's team wrote.

The findings held even when Fraser's team took into account smoking, drinking and other behaviors that can damage a person's liver.
Next it will be the color of your fingernails.
CS
dont shoot it down so quickly. (i know you are just kidding).
while i would have never associated poor nutrition
and upbringing with shorter legs it does make sense on the surface.
i would assume that a more active lifestyle is associated with longer legs as well.
both factors create better health and disease resistance.
I think it has more to do with heredity. The longer the arms the easier it is to reach the booze on the table.
Yeah this sounds kinda silly. There are various tribes in africa that have VERY tall (and thin) people in them with very long legs. And I strongly suspect that most/many of them were raised in an environment where the consistent availability of food and proper nutrition is relatively poor compared to western standards - and yet they still have super long legs. And in my case, I wear 34"L pants and received good nutrition my whole life (other than the doritos and captain crunch). So I think leg length in our modern western world (where true malnutrition is largely a thing of the past) has more to do with heredity than anything else. I think what they've really discovered it that short stubby/stocky people are more likely to become obese in our modern world and therefore are more likely to suffer from the usual maladies of obesity (like diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease etc). Someone built like that 20,000 years ago would have had an evolutionary advantage in a place like prehistoric Europe, but today the advantages afforded by those same genes are turned on their heads because the environment has also turned on its head.
I mostly agree with you, bit you did go on to validate the study a little...

"has more to do with heredity than anything else. I think what they've really discovered it that short stubby/stocky people are more likely to become obese in our modern world and therefore are more likely to suffer from the usual maladies of obesity (like diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease etc).

I think that has some validity...and you know, maybe these types of people do eat more, and maybe, in some instances, drink more? who knows? What's that saying, stats don't validate the individual, they validate the stats.....did think it's interesting, and only proves to me, how many, many, many variables disease encompasses...and how it's so hard to pin down a few reasons for anything.
My wife is 4,10"  100 lbs. and doesn't drink.  Suffers from vascular disease so you may be right on this.