Hepatitis Social Community

Is brain fog bad enough to bring down a marriage?

My husband has had Hep C for probably 15-20 years, and also has cirrohsis. We found out 5 years ago. The doc tried interferon treatment 4.5 yrs ago, but his platelets plummeted so treatment was stopped. He was sent to liver transplant team who told him his liver had another 5-10 years before failure. Where he had been completely alcohol-free for a year, he took that as a green light to drink "socially" again. Fast forward...our marriage is now about to crumble. He repeats himself a lot and he forgets conversation (or remembers them wrong or only parts of them), but instead of thinking it is him, he has decided I am a liar not to be trusted. His exact words - "If I believed everything you say about me, that would mean I am crazy." I have no idea if his liver disease is the culprit here, or if this is just severe relational problems between the two of us (or more likely some of both). I am searching or answers... He is not under a doctor's care currently. Any thoughts, insights or suggestions?
There has been improvements since his last treatments - he needs to get to a good Hepatologist and get treated. He sounds like he is giving up on life or just doesn't think that he has a chance at success. He may need antidepressants to get him through. A good doctor an maybe AA might be a good start.

Good luck
Cognitive impairment is common with advanced liver failure, so he may be showing that. No internet discussion board can analyze these problems for you, but advice from what I hear you saying, is get help fast.  Medical, family, clergy, whatever.  Your waiting is just not going to see mimprovement, and you WILL become part of his problems.  Here is an article on cognitive impairment and HCV, and interesting studies that show cirrohsis does not have to exist:  Good luck and do what you can to save him.  G

http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hcsp/articles/cognitive_impairment.html
Your question is "Is brain fog bad enough to bring a marriage down?"

Your situation sounds like a tough one and I feel for you, but your husband obviously can't help himself as far as the repeating and forgeting conversations. I can't see holding that against him. The alcohol, sounds like he needs to go to AA. If he is violent when he drinks, I would say that you would need to distance yourself at least temporarily until he received help, but I really can't see leaving him for brain fog. Just try to remember when he blames you for things he can't help it because he just doesn't remember. If you can get a doctor to tell him to stop drinking that would be a help. The alcohol is so bad for him at this point - but I know you know that.

Hope things get better and I hope your marriage doesn't break up.

he has cirrohsis and still drinks?" hep c and drinking just don't mix...of course he can't think straight..i think if he won't stop drinking you may have to get away from him...give up...take care of yourself...you could go right down with him...it's too much for anyone...on the other hand if he quits drinking all the way maybe stay...the abuse your taking can have lasting affects..what he's doing to his brain when he drinks is doing so much damage already having an impaired liver.... this post isn't all about brain fog from hep c..sorry to sound so nasty....good luck...billy
Something else to consider...The confusion you describe may be more than increasing ammonia levels from cirrhosis (brain fog)...You didn't say his age but, if he has been an alcoholic for  15+ years ( I know you said he was a "social drinker"...My personal definition of a social drinker is someone who has an occasional glass of wine or a beer during the week and doesn't drink to impairment..More than that, and I'd be questioning an alcoholic drinking habit...) If he is an alcoholic, he may be developing alcohol induced dementia (sort of a brain cirrhosis), or an encephalopathy...Liver compromise added to alcohol use (which greatly accelerates hep c damage) is a bad mix...I feel you have more going on than just dealing with the hep c and it's fallout...Keep yourself safe...I realize you may have tried this already but, try to get him to a doc for evaluation...Talk to the doc beforehand and explain what is going on..(If you have to, make an appointment to talk to the doc by yourself first...)...If he becomes violent, call EMS (911) and tell them how he's acting. (Remove yourself from the area first, lest you become a target.) He may be suffering from an early onset of Alzheimer's...Only a doctor can determine that...If this is the case, his behavior can suddenly become irrational and very violent...Find a safe place now that you can go if the need ever rises...Hope this helps...These situations are never simple or easy...
I made an incomplete statement in my last post...Brain fog can be caused by elevated ammonia levels, but it is not the only reason...Many experience it from medication side effects, especially those that treat hepatitis...And the Hep C can manifest itself elsewhere in the body effecting other systems...Personally, I have less brain fog now, as I'm doing treatment, then I did beforehand...
Do yourself a favor...seek counseling for you. Whether your marriage survives, or not, you will need tools to help you through this time in your life...((((((((((((HUGZ))))))))))