Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis Social Community
1.94k Members
208764 tn?1249433257

Miracle Mineral Supplement

I've never heard of this until today when a friend who dropped SOC tx and is using 'Chlorine Dioxide Ion' called MMS??? Has anyone had any experience with this very 'easy to make, inexpensive' solution for treating HCV?

Thanks!
2 Responses
446474 tn?1446351282
Miracle Mineral Supplement? "easy to make, inexpense"?

You can get all you want at your local water treatment or paper manufacturing plant!
Sounds great for bleaching. Maybe we can bleach away those nasty little viruses!!!
"Used for decontaminating of buildings in the United States after the 2001 anthrax attacks". Wow! HCV is nothing compared to anthrax this stuff sounds great! Wait there's more!!! It's used for odor control in the air scrubbers of animal byproduct (rendering) plants. Wow and we can smell good while wiping out the HCV buggers too!!!

...I'd watch out for the side effects though. They sound worse that Interferon and Riba.
"irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat; cough; wheezing; shortness of breath; bronchitis; pulmonary edema; headache; and vomiting" "Chronic exposure to chlorine dioxide may cause chronic bronchitis and emphysema."

Details:
Chlorine dioxide is a chemical compound with the formula ClO2. This reddish-yellow gas crystallizes as orange crystals at −59 °C. As one of several oxides of chlorine, it is a potent and useful oxidizing agent used in water treatment and in bleaching.

Chlorine dioxide is used primarily (>95%) for bleaching of wood pulp, but is also used for the bleaching of flour and for the disinfection of municipal drinking water. The Niagara Falls, New York water treatment plant first used chlorine dioxide for drinking water treatment in 1944 for phenol destruction. Chlorine dioxide was introduced as a drinking water disinfectant on a large scale in 1956, when Brussels, Belgium, changed from chlorine to chlorine dioxide. Its most common use in water treatment is as a pre-oxidant prior to chlorination of drinking water to destroy natural water impurities that produce trihalomethanes on exposure to free chlorine. Trihalomethanes are suspect carcinogenic disinfection by-product associated with chlorination of naturally occurring organics in the raw water. Chlorine dioxide is also superior to chlorine when operating above pH7, in the presence of ammonia and amines and/or for the control of biofilms in water distribution systems. Chlorine dioxide is used in many industrial water treatment applications as a biocide including cooling towers, process water and food processing. Chlorine dioxide is less corrosive than chlorine and superior for the control of legionella bacteria.

It is more effective as a disinfectant in most circumstances than chlorine against water borne pathogenic microbes such as viruses, bacteria and protozoa – including the cysts of Giardia and the oocysts of Cryptosporidium.

The use of chlorine dioxide in water treatment leads to the formation of the by-product chlorite which is currently limited to a maximum of 1 ppm in drinking water in the USA. This EPA standard limits the use of chlorine dioxide in the USA to relatively high quality water or water which is to be treated with iron based coagulants. (Iron can reduce chlorite to chloride.)

It can also be used for air disinfection, and was the principal agent used in the decontamination of buildings in the United States after the 2001 anthrax attacks. Recently, after the disaster of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, Louisiana and the surrounding Gulf Coast, chlorine dioxide has been used to eradicate dangerous mold from houses inundated by water from massive flooding.

Chlorine dioxide is used as an oxidant for phenol destruction in waste water streams, control of zebra and quagga mussels in water intakes and for odor control in the air scrubbers of animal byproduct (rendering) plants.

Stabilized chlorine dioxide can also be used in an oral rinse to treat oral disease and malodor, but its adverse side-effects are still being investigated.[1]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Summary of toxicology

1. Effects on Animals: Chlorine dioxide is a severe respiratory and eye irritant in experimental animals. The oral LD(50) in rats is 292 mg/kg [NIOSH 1995]. Delayed deaths have occurred in animals exposed to 150 to 200 ppm for less than 1 hour. Rats exposed to 10 ppm daily died after 10 to 13 days of exposure; effects seen were nasal and ocular discharge and difficult breathing. A postmortem examination revealed purulent bronchitis [Hathaway et al. 1991]. Rats exposed to ppm of chlorine dioxide for 5 hours daily for 10 weeks did not exhibit any abnormal reactions [ACGIH 1991]. Chlorine dioxide dissolves in water to produce chlorate and chlorite ions. Chlorite has been shown to produce methemoglobin in rats and cats [Gosselin

Effects on Humans: Chlorine dioxide is a severe respiratory and eye irritant in humans. Inhalation can produce coughing, wheezing, respiratory distress, and congestion in the lungs [Patnaik 1992]. Irritating effects in humans was intense at concentration levels of 5 ppm. Accidental exposure at 19 ppm of the gas inside a bleach tank resulted in the death of one worker (time of exposure is not specified) [ACGIH 1991]. Workers exposed for 5 years to average chlorine dioxide concentrations below 0.1 ppm but with excursions to higher concentrations had symptoms of eye and throat irritation, nasal discharge, cough, and wheezing; on bronchoscopy, bronchitis was observed in seven of the 12 workers [Clayton and Clayton 1982]. Concentrations of 0.25 ppm and less have been reported to worsen mild respiratory ailments [ACGIH 1991]. Two adults who ingested 250 ml of a 40 mg/l solution of chlorine dioxide experienced headache, nausea, abdominal discomfort, and lightheadedness within 5 minutes of ingestion. The symptoms disappeared within another 5 minutes [NLM

Signs and symptoms of exposure

1. Acute exposure: Acute exposure to chlorine dioxide results in

irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat; cough; wheezing; shortness of breath; bronchitis; pulmonary edema; headache; and vomiting [Genium

Chronic exposure: Chronic exposure to chlorine dioxide may cause chronic bronchitis and emphysema [Sittig 1991].

EMERGENCY MEDICAL PROCEDURES

* Emergency medical procedures: [NIOSH to supply]

5. Rescue: Remove an incapacitated worker from further exposure and implement appropriate emergency procedures (e.g., those listed on the Material Safety Data Sheet required by OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard [29 CFR 1910.1200]). All workers should be familiar with emergency procedures, the location and proper use of emergency equipment, and methods of protecting themselves during rescue operations.

Enjoy!
Hector
208764 tn?1249433257
Thanks very much for your response and information. It sounds that this stuff is easily fatal and I will be sure to pass on to these folks that the PR that surrounds this 'poisen' is very suspicious at best.
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.