Hepatitis Social Community

The Truth, Please

Just got 14 week labs.

Starting VL 1,140,000
Beginning Log 6.058

week 14 (March 30)
VL 510
Log 2.708

Total Log drop at week 14 - 3.350

I have 10 more weeks to get UND.

If I don't reach it by week 24, I guess I stop.

I thought that 510 was encouraging but it did take a long time to get there.

Any thoughts?

Also, for the first time I have high Glucose serum and Low calcium Serum.

Any advice about that?

Everything else is the same; Neutrophils and WBC at Alert

Hematocrit, RBC and platelets low.

Hemaglobin 11.6

I'm gonna post this on the other side too coz it's so uncharacteristically medical.

Thanks in advance,

Wyntre

First I want to say that is great you killed ALMOST all of them, so you are a responder even if you aren't a rapid one! At least you are responding.  NYGirl had a few hangers on past 12 weeks as I recall too, I think hers was a few hundred. You just about have killed them all off, you are SO CLOSE to UND, I bet you are UND right now!

I think it's time to consider extending, what did your doctor say about it? If it was me I'd up my Riba but I don't know how much you are on right now.
Wow almost there!!
I think what Kalio told you sounds like good advice. So glad to see you ARE responding to treatment.

Are you going to keep getting tested to see what week you are totally UND?
'First I want to say that is great you killed ALMOST all of them, so you are a responder even if you aren't a rapid one!"

Ohhhh, thank you kalio.  It was great to hear that.  

"I think it's time to consider extending, what did your doctor say about it? If it was me I'd up my Riba"

I haven't spoken to him yet.  (Labcorp send me copies of bloodwork), but, initially, he said he wanted me on tx for 48 weeks.  i'm on 1000mg riba per day.  

To tell you the truth, i don't think that mentally and psychologically i could deal with anymore riba.  Plus I've lost almost 10 pounds since starting TX . . .still a plump chicken as my Ukrainian Dr. used to say, but I would imagine my riba requirements have dropped, too?.

I'm having all sorts of insurance issues now, as I'm on medical leave, and starting May 1 it's gonna be $566 for health coverage and scripts, which, considering the cost of these da*n meds, probably seems like a bargain.

But I sure can't afford that.  (I just put my house up for sale.)  

thanks again Kalio.  Coming from someone who's really been there done that, the encouragemnt means a lot.

wyntre
After May 1, I may never get tested again!  (just kidding).  

But that's the other reason I've been testing so often - to try and get a handle on the virus while still well-insured.

Or course the truth you asked for is that non-detectible would be better.

I forgot your stats, including first time treatment or not, age, age you think you contracted HCV, genotype, stage of liver damage, drugs (pegasys or peg intron?), pre-tx weight, riba dose; as well as your previous viral load tests. Also, what was your pre-tx hemoglobin and what was it on follow-up hgb values?

Certainly, you're correct that in terms of a viral eradication approach, you have ten more weeks to get non-detectible, unless you main purpose of treating is for liver histology alone. But other factors, including how much liver damage you have, and exactly when you become non-detectible all certainly play into any decision moving on. If it were me, I'd ask for sensitive weekly viral load tests at this point (something like Heptimax) until I became non-detectible. Like to hold back other advice until you report back, but I agree that upping the ribavirin may be one reasonable adjustment depending on how you're presently tolerating treatment.

All the best,

-- Jim

That's great that you can continue getting tested.  Seems some doctors are against testing except when they "feel moved" to do so.

I'm happy for you!
"the truth you asked for is that non-detectible would be better."

Of course.  

"I forgot your stats"

1A, Stage 1 Grade 1, diagnosed November 2006.  Don't know how I got it or how long I've had it but am assuming it's at least 20 years.  (partying in the 80's)

Meds;
Peg 180 1x per week, riba 1000, neup 480 every 2 weeks.

Previous VL tests:
1,140,000
97,000
75,000
37,000
17,000
11,000
6500
3860
510

pre tx Hgb 14.5
current HgB 11.4

"If it were me, I'd ask for sensitive weekly viral load tests at this point (something like Heptimax) until I became non-detectible."

I'm gonna mention that when i see the Dr. next week, or the week after.

Thanks Dr. Jim.

My Dr. told me to test once per month but I've been going every week or two coz I wanted to know what was going on.

After May 1, I definitely won't be testing as frequently!

Yeah, sorry for all the questions but memory isn't so good here.

You've had nine viral load tests since you started treating 14 weeks ago?
Did your hemoglobin drop fairly quickly to 11.4 or was it gradual? Do you have your CBC results handy?
Wanted to know how much you weighed because that's how they mostly determine your ribavirin dose. But since you say you're on 1000mg/day of ribavirin, Im going to assume you're below 165 lbs, and that's without "Venus" sitting on your shoulder.

-- Jim
I'll tell you what I like:

3.350 Log drop!
Only 510 critters running around inside ya!!

Seriously, I don't know about the statistics, but it looks very encouraging to me!!

Can't wait to hear what your doctor says, but it looks to me like you've got a fighting chance!!

Actually, you're not too different from where my hubby was at 12 weeks, he had 33 VL, and from what I understand that's not a HUGE difference.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You're looking good, girl!!
Yeah, the other "personal" ladies question -- how old are you? Not being nosey, but studies suggest that the younger the age of infection (projected in your case) the slower the progression of liver damage.

-- Jim
Jim:Yeah, sorry for all the questions but memory isn't so good here.
It's not the memory at all! Everybody and their brother asks you for help, single you out for help, including me. How can you keep track of all those stats.
Wyntre: I think the most important thing is that it IS dropping. You are killing the virus and healing your liver, although with your little damage, your liver will be better than new by the time you finish! Keep fighting, it may be slow but the numbers are going in the right direction!
Bug