Hepatitis Social Community

Who in the election will fight for our cause?

I didn't know how to title this post...  

Without getting into a big political debate, can someone tell me, which candidates, on each side, will best be helping the Hep C research funding?    It doesn't matter to me, whether you are saying Democrat/Republican/Indep., or whatever, I'm just curious if anybody knows from past history, researching this, or anything like that???   I'm not saying which party I'm affliated with, that doesn't matter in the general election anyway because you can vote across party lines in that election if you so choose.    Anyway, I'm really curious about this.  I'm also wondering if there's some website that might tell me where the various candidates stand in their past support of HIV, since I figure that if they have a good history with supporting HIV/AIDS research that they might care about HCV.  Anyway, any info would be appreciated.  I hope that this will not end up being a debate because that's not what I'm looking for.

Happy Holidays everyone.

Susan
I'm not sure if anyone can answer this question with great authority...but I will say this...there has been a lot of advocacy for other diseases, as we all know...and what party has done the most, in terms of public awareness, fund raising, etc...for AIDs, and a host of other diseases, particularly those with stigmas associated with them, like ours? The most basic research will answer that, and I'm sure people can guess...I'm not up for a big political discussion (they are so draining! ha ha) and I'm too busy...but I will throw this out there...not to say any party has done enough for our disease particularly,....good question though, food for thought.
None of the above.

Sorry I'm so cynical, Susan, but that's how i feel.

wyn
" I'm also wondering if there's some website that might tell me where the various candidates stand in their past support of HIV, since I figure that if they have a good history with supporting HIV/AIDS research that they might care about HCV. "

I have had cause to think about this recently here in UK because my local politician started to send me AIDs literature after I wrote to him about HCV.  It turns out he does not even have an HCV mailing list so my name got filed under HIV although I don't have HIV.

It seems to me, at least talking about the UK, that the HIV bandwagon is so well established that any mainstream respectable politician just about has to be on it.  In addition, people in this country have access to antivirals which work, therefore are not dropping dead so much, so the horror and death is not among the voting public.  It has become sanitised, acceptable.      

On the other hand, HCV here seems to hardly be in the public awareness at all, except for those who have had friends die.  A huge percentage of people here are still undiagnosed.  I believe that the powers that be want HCV to stay lurking in the shadows so that people don't come forward to be tested until better drugs are found, otherwise the socialized heath service will go under with the demand on funding and resources.

So my point is that it would take a courageous politician to grasp this nettle.  It was once that way with AIDS too, so maybe the best way to find your guy or gal candidate is to go back far enough in history to a time when it took guts to stand up and support AIDS.

dointime

dointime        
It does not matter what they say before they get elected cause they lie!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But if you can overlook the religon aspect the mormon seems to be pretty level headed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you kidding ? Nobody is going to mention HCV until it comes out of the closet.
As long as it is seen as 'that druggie disease', nothing is going to change.

The best we can hope for in a candidate, is one who supports true health care over insurance co. profits. So if the lobby system doesn't change...
I couldnt resist...that's what the"Mormon" is going to do, help us with HCV....not that any of them will directly, but come on! Spacey...call the mothership!

I'm with Wyntre on this one
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
Don't get fooled again
No, no!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss
The Who
At the risk of stirring up a boiling pot, if I were a Democrat, I think Edwards has the best healthcare policies.  They're more developed than those of the other candidates.  If I were a Republican, I'd say that Huckabee has the most heart.  At least he knows where he stands, he's human, and he seems to care about people.  Of course, he thinks our planet is 10,000 years old...

Basically, I don't think any of the Republicans has any new ideas about medical insurance except more of the same, perhaps by compulsion.  The Dems seem to be willing to make some changes.  Then they have to battle it out in Congress and nothing will happen.  Harry Truman was the first to try to solve this one, as I recall.
Kucinich, of course, and I base this on his short stature which probably means short legs which as "Forseegood" has pointed out may mean liver issues, which means he may have more of a personal stake in liver research.  

-- Jim
and i hear he's got an in with the aliens.  you would think that they would have some advanced medical knowledge.

wyn
thanks jmjm..Kucinich it is (mental note to self)

Jim- that actually made me laugh. Wow!
Of course, Kucinich's stature further removing him from the Ozone layer may be of concern to some more active environmentalists -- and then there's Wyn's observation about a possible alien connection -- and come to think of it, his wife does look at bit like Sigorney Weaver did back then. Hmm.