off topic help

Knowing many here are into research, can anyone access this article? I've got an appt. with this doc and would like to read what he wrote in this article. Any help would be most greatly appreciated, thanks
Pro--who's to cheap to pay!! (g)
"What sources of information do individuals use when researching the treatment of hip and knee arthritis?"

http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0883540308009406
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
as a side note, if anyone is in the same boat as I, found a fantastic site on hip resurfacing....as opposed to total replacement (I'm pushing to go this route)
http://www.surfacehippy.info/index.php
Helpful - 0
Think this is the full text you were looking for:

What sources of information do individuals use when researching the treatment of hip and knee arthritis?

Ivan Tomek MD

Available online 20 January 2009.

Article Outline

Introduction
Methods
Results
Conclusions

Introduction
Individuals with hip and knee arthritis have many sources of information at their disposal when researching treatment options. Educational materials and advice may be available from their primary physician or orthopaedic surgeon, from television, the printed media and the Internet. The reliability and quality of information from some of these sources may be variable, especially where the parties providing the information have an interest in promoting a related product, technique or service.

Methods

The purpose of this prospective study was to determine what sources of information were used by 123 patients who consulted our university-based orthopaedic clinic for symptomatic hip and knee arthritis (43 hip and 80 knee). Each individual completed an electronic survey that collected demographic data and standardized outcomes measures including SF-36 and EQ-5D, goals of treatment, duration of symptoms and preference for surgical versus non-operative treatment.
Results

Commonly-utilized information sources were an orthopaedic surgeon (78 percent), primary care physician (63 percent) and friends and family (67 percent). The Internet was used by 33 percent of patients, an educational booklet by 25 percent and magazine or newspaper by 31 percent. Only 11 percent of patients consulted a medical journal. There was no significant correlation between specific information sources and the demographic characteristics of the patient. The majority of patients were leaning towards surgical treatment when they arrived at their clinic visit, though a small number of patients eventually switched preference.
Conclusions

While numerous sources of information are available to patients contemplating treatment of hip and knee arthritis, the majority of individuals in our cohort relied on information from their physicians, family and friends. Only a third of patients reported using the Internet, and few relied on medical journals. These findings suggest that orthopaedic surgeons continue to have a leading responsibility in educating patients about treatment alternatives for hip and knee arthritis. The use evidence-based decision aids and a shared decision-making process allow this to occur at our institution.

The Journal of Arthroplasty
Volume 24, Issue 2, February 2009, Page e79

Hope that helps.
~eureka
Helpful - 0
Thank you eureka, that was very nice of you and I  muchly appreciate it!!!  Kind of a "fluff-nothing" article, but now I know.........;^) Hope you are well,Pro
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis Social Community