Hepatitis Social Community

stopping treatment early?

Hi Im on a six month treatment of peg and reb i have 2 weeks left and would love to stop now .my hair is falling out and been a rough ride . i have been undetectable since the first 6 weeks can you guys give me some advise
Bill,,,I remember so well at the end wanting to quit early,,,in fact I think we all do!  Probably best thing is to go ahead and finish as planned so you know you did everything by the book to reach SVR.  Also,,,just food for thought,,,even quitting the meds today,,,everything,,,,you won't feel any different for a week or so anyways.  Just my experience that it took awhile to feel better after stopping....
I think if you are und at 4 weeks . You can think about cutting tx short but if you were und at 6 weeks you may want to tough it out. I know the last couple of weeks seem to be the hardest. You can do it. Hang in there it will be over soon. Good luck to you

From one Bill to another, I think it's important to ask yourself how you will deal with the situation in the event of relapse. If you can cope with the self-recrimination, well... Personally, as a previous relapser, I'd want to be as compliant as possible. If something goes wrong, you’ll know you did everything you could; it might make the next round of treatment a little more palatable? I agree with the poster above about your 4 week viral response; there are studies that support a 16 week duration for genotype 2 given Rapid Viral Response. Have you discussed this with your doctor? What is his response? I wish you well with whatever decision you make, and hope that the remaining side effects are gentle.

Take care,

Bill
2 weeks? Cake freaking walk.

You can do it...

Yes you can...

You can do it!!!

Rah rah rah - sis koom bah...

Hang in there --- buy some crazy glue and put the hair back in place...

TX stinks to high heaven --- but only 2 more weeks.

You would kick yourself over and over and over again if you needed that one extra day to become SVR.

ONE EXTRA DAY...

Do it one day at a time...

Mark it on a calendar - cross off each day with a big black X...

Do it - you can do it!!!

It is the hardest time in the TX phase... The POST Tx phase is just as bad, if not worse --- but it goes away. (Check me out babe - I'm 5 months post TX and yesterday I felt as though the clouds had parted and the sun was shining through for the first time in 1 full year!)

Life is good - trust me --- chances are that you will feel better soon - it will take some time and some patience ---- but you WILL probably get better within months.

It's hard --- but two more weeks is NOTHING.

You might be ok --- but then you might not.

You wanna take that chance?

If you're under a doctor's care - and he says go the whole way -- then do it darlin! If you're healthy enough to handle it now --- it could mean the difference of End Stage Liver Disease or a transplant.

So --- hang in there - rah rah rah ---- pom poms are shaking for you as you hike the ball into the final inning of the game!

Meki
Thanks guys i was going to stop but you gave me that kick i needed. Been rough i know some of you have it alot harder then 6 months . Just going through a rough time gf and i split she couldnt deal with it or me anymore and just cant wait to get my life back im so glad this site is here to come on and talk about it
TX is hard on your life.

But dying is even harder...

And dying of Liver Disease is even harder.

GFs can come and go --- and if they can't hang through the better or worse part if you're not being abusive --- then *poof* it's a magical cure to be rid of them.

You can hang in there if you're not having major medical issues. It is stinkypoo - but you can handle 2 more weeks.

And don't forget... POST TX everything probably won't be rosy for a couple of months... don't think that magically changes everything - being off tx...

It took 6 months to go through your system - and it's pretty nasty going out --- about the same amount of time... It all depends on each individual.

So don't be all --- Hey I'm done... Why don't I feel better as soon as the needle leaves my skin?

OK?

Other than that --- you're past the hard part.

SUPER HUGS --- and SUPER UND/SVR wishes!

Meki
I have less than two weeks left and for the past few days I literally have said, 'That's my last dose then I'm done.'  You/I just want it over so badly that we start going into these headgames. Right now I'm literally making it one dose at a time.
please see below...might help you with your decision

Longer Hepatitis C Treatment Best?
Cure Rates Are Higher With Longer Treatment Of 6 Months, Research Suggests
(WebMD) Shortening treatment to less than six months does not appear to be a good strategy for patients with the most curable types of hepatitis C virus infection, new research suggests.

Patients with hepatitis C genotypes 2 and 3 who were treated for four months had lower cure rates and higher relapse rates than those treated for six months.

The study, which appears in Thursday's New England Journal of Medicine, shows that longer treatment benefits even those with highly treatable hepatitis C, researcher Mitchell L. Shiffman, MD, tells WebMD.

"I tell patients if they can tolerate treatment and can stay on it for 24 weeks, they have a better chance of achieving the best possible outcome, which is a cure," he says.

Hepatitis C Treatment Strategies
Long-term infection with hepatitis C virus (HCV) is a leading cause of cirrhosis, liver cancer, and liver transplants in the United States. As many as 4 million Americans are infected, but most don't know it, experts say.

About 70 percent of infected Americans carry the genotype 1 form of hepatitis C, which tends to be less responsive to treatment than genotypes 2 and 3.

With aggressive treatment, nearly 80 percent of people with genotypes 2 or 3 achieve complete and sustained viral eradication, or cures, compared with about 40 percent to 45 percent of people carrying genotype 1 virus.

These days, most patients are treated with a long-acting version of the injected drug interferon along with the antiviral drug ribavirin.

The standard course of treatment for patients with the more treatable types of hepatitis C infection is half that of patients with genotype 1 hepatitis C — 24 weeks compared with 48 weeks.

In several recent studies, it was reported that shortening treatment to four months and even three months had no impact on cure rates in hepatitis C genotype 2 or 3 patients.

In an effort to test these findings, Shiffman and colleagues from Virginia Commonwealth University compared outcomes among genotype 2 or 3 patients treated for four months and six months.

They report that 31 percent of patients treated with the shorter course of therapy eventually relapsed, compared with 18% of patients who got the full six months of treatment. Relapse was defined as having detectable levels of virus in the blood at follow-up despite complete viral eradication at the end of treatment.

Overall, 62 percent of patients treated for four months achieved sustained viral responses, compared with 70 percent of patients treated for six months.

Among patients who achieved complete viral responses within a month of starting treatment, 79 percent of those treated for four months achieved complete, sustained responses, compared to 85 percent of the patients treated for six months.

Individualized Hepatitis C Treatment
Shiffman understands the desire of patients and doctors to shorten treatment. The drugs used to treat hepatitis C are very expensive and they can cause severe fatigue, fever, depression, and other hard-to-tolerate side effects.

But he says a better strategy than shortening treatment is lowering drug dosage in patients who have trouble tolerating hepatitis C treatments.

He adds that rapid response to treatment has become as important as viral genotype for predicting response to treatment.

Patients who show no signs of hepatitis C infection within a month of beginning treatment have a 90 percent cure rate, regardless of genotype, he says.

"We are learning that the optimal way to treat hepatitis C is to monitor the virus during treatment, no matter what the genotype, and adjust treatment duration based on response."

T. Jake Liang, MD, of the National Institutes of Health, says this individualized approach to hepatitis C treatment will become more common as more is learned about the virus.

Liang is chief of the liver disease branch of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and idney Diseases.

"As our technology improves we will be more able to identify patients who will benefit from a shorter course of treatment," he tells WebMD. "For now,
though, genotype 2 and 3 patients who can tolerate the treatment should remain on it for a full six months."

Heres the link below

http://www.cbsnews. com/stories/ 2007/07/11/ health/webmd/ main3047056. shtml
Wishing you the best in whatever you decide
Shastri made a great case for continuing tx. You said you were clear at  6 weeks, did you test for viral load any earlier than that? I know how you feel, and I-horn spoke of the same way I felt "That's my last dose and then I'm done". I started feeling that way around week 14.
I made it thru 2 more doses before I quit, but I wouldn't advise anyone to quit early. I was und at 3 weeks and a geno 2 also.
I really hope you can do the last two weeks. I took a chance, but I still could relapse and have to do this all over again.
Good luck,
Bug
I am the wife a person who has chronic hep c and cirrhosis.  he did not find out til late in the game he had this horrible disease.  They gave him a few months of tx then took him off.  Now he is on hospice .  I would like to encourage all of you stick with your treatment and go the full way.  No one can ever imagine what poor souls with this disease have endured.  he is not on the transplant list due to complications of this disease.  

i wish you all the best.