Hepatitis Forum

AIH

Posted by Elena on May 26, 1999 at 12:11:13
Firstly I wanted to thank you for the information you have given me. I wonder if you could help with the following.
As you know i have AIH, and the biopsy showed mild inflammation. But my enzymes have been rapidly increasing over the last two weeks and my SGPT is now 200. I agree with my Doctor that its to mild to treat, but when should i be treated with medication? What SGPT levels are too high?
All the people ive talked too with AIH is older than I. Im 27 years old with AIH isnt that young? Does that mean i have less chance of having a normal life span?
Thank you for your help, as i really want to know if mild cases should be treated with meds.
Elena

Posted by HFHSM.D.-D.M. on May 31, 1999 at 16:28:05
Dear Elena:
I appreciate your follow-up questions.  They really start to get at some of the complexities of autoimmune hepatitis and I appreciate the opportunity to comment.
Let me go backwards to forwards and answer your last questions first.  Autoimmune hepatitis is a condition that affects women disproportionately, so simply put you are absolutely not too young.  The fact that you are young does not necessarily mean that you have less of a chance of living a normal lifespan.  You are better off being young and having a mild form of disease than being old and having a very aggressive form.
Your questions about when to begin treatment or whether you should receive treatment now are very complex and I certainly would not want to make specific comments through MedHelp.  There is no specific level of SGPT that triggers a decision to treat.  Rather, the decision is based on a variety of information including the liver biopsy, laboratory data and the nature of the individual patient  The critical thing is to have a physician who has a fair amount of experience with your condition.
I hope this information is helpful to you.  Again, good luck.  Let me know if you have additional questions or information by posting them to MedHelp.  The direct number to our Liver Clinic at Henry Ford at (313) 916-8865.
This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation.  Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.

Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.