Hepatitis Forum

IS THERE A DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE??? Dear HFHSM.D.-D.M. WHY WON'T YOU ANSWER US??

But you didn't answer several questions regarding bone loss with Interferon,..why?? I realize Schering donates to your site,..but can we not get an answer?? This is so serious. Also, people have asked if HepC can cause it. Why no answers to such a serious and possibly life threatening complication???
  Is there no answer for us,..NO HELP???Sign me very sick,..and Sadly, ignored,..Mary Ann

_
Dear Mary Ann:
Thanks for your questions.  Another reader, asked about hepatitis C and interferon therapy and their possible role in osteoporosis.  I will reiterate the points I made to him.  I did a formal, computerized literature search looking for a relationship between hepatitis C, interferon therapy and osteoporosis.  I found some papers that found a link between hepatitis C and bone loss.  This is one such paper:
Gallego-Rojo FJ. Gonzalez-Calvin JL. Munoz-Torres M. Mundi JL. Fernandez-Perez R. Rodrigo-Moreno D. Bone mineral density, serum insulin-like growth factor I, and bone turnover markers in viral cirrhosis. Hepatology. 28(3):695-9, 1998 Sep.

I could not find any papers that described  a link between interferon and bone loss.  In fact, two papers described using interferon to treat a specific kind of bone loss.  That does not mean there is no link between interferon and bone loss.  It just means that I was not able to find one using the
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.