Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

IS THERE A DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE??? Dear HFHSM.D.-D.M. WHY WON'T YOU ANSWER US??

But you didn't answer several questions regarding bone loss with Interferon,..why?? I realize Schering donates to your site,..but can we not get an answer?? This is so serious. Also, people have asked if HepC can cause it. Why no answers to such a serious and possibly life threatening complication???
  Is there no answer for us,..NO HELP???Sign me very sick,..and Sadly, ignored,..Mary Ann
1 Responses

_
Dear Mary Ann:
Thanks for your questions.  Another reader, asked about hepatitis C and interferon therapy and their possible role in osteoporosis.  I will reiterate the points I made to him.  I did a formal, computerized literature search looking for a relationship between hepatitis C, interferon therapy and osteoporosis.  I found some papers that found a link between hepatitis C and bone loss.  This is one such paper:
Gallego-Rojo FJ. Gonzalez-Calvin JL. Munoz-Torres M. Mundi JL. Fernandez-Perez R. Rodrigo-Moreno D. Bone mineral density, serum insulin-like growth factor I, and bone turnover markers in viral cirrhosis. Hepatology. 28(3):695-9, 1998 Sep.

I could not find any papers that described  a link between interferon and bone loss.  In fact, two papers described using interferon to treat a specific kind of bone loss.  That does not mean there is no link between interferon and bone loss.  It just means that I was not able to find one using the
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.