This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

very worried

Hello dear doctors
Please excuse my  poor english
I am male,30 ,heterosexual, and live in Eastern Europe.
2 weeks ago I had unprotected vaginal and oral sex with a girl.It was a one night stand .
I feel very weak know, I lost my apetite and my urine is very dark.
I would like to do the following tests : HBSAg and HCV antibody test.
When can I do these tests to know for sure If I have something or not ? I am very scared .
I want to do these tests very soon, but when can I do them the sooner ?
What  are my risks for contracting the B or C hepatitic viruses statistically  speaking ?
Read more
Discussion is closed
Upvote - 0
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
1760304 tn?1316457159
Dear paulvasilescu,

Unprotected sex predisposes one to all STDs including HIV and HBV. The exact risk of acquiring these infections through sex is difficult to state. It depends on a number of factors such as

Whether you have open sores in genital area

Whether you have any other STDs

How badly the partner was infected (The viral load in the partner)

To answer your questions-

1. A rough statistical estimate of a man contracting HIV through sex is 1:10,000. The HBV virus is 100 times as infectious as HIV.

2. HCV transmission through unprotected sex is rare.

Regarding how early you should get tested:

1.      HBsAg is detected in an infected person’s blood an average of 4 weeks after exposure to the virus. HCV infection can also be detected by HCV antibody test 4 weeks after infection. To know for sure that you do not have these infections you should repeat these tests after 6 months.

2.      Since you had unprotected sex you should also consider getting tested for HIV. HIV can be detected at the earliest by 3 weeks on HIV PCR test. HIV antibody tests can reliably detect it after 3 months of infection.

3.      Based on the description you provide, it is advisable to get liver function tests also.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards.
Dr. Poorna Chandra
Discussion is closed