Hernia Community
290 Members

Lump in groin

Hi went to docs with a lump in my groin where groin meets top of leg are and my doc was 99% sure it was a femoral hernia so had to see specialist at my local hospital, he checked me over and wasn't sure it was a hernia at all and has sent me for an ultrasound scan.

The lump itself is soft and seems to fill up or vibrate when I feel it when walking and when i exert myself(lifting etc) it gives me occasional pain...but when  I lie down it seems to disappear, the specialist mentioned maybe a build up in a vein but wouldn't go any further until I've had the scan so now I'm back to not knowing anything and I'm slightly worried about it, am I right to worry?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Thanks Matt
Oh forgot to mention I'm a 37yo male....
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Hernia is the protrusion of abdominal contents through an abnormal opening. It usually increases on coughing and reduces on lying down. But as your specialist has suspected, it could also be a varicocele. Varicose veins of the testis are referred to as a varicocele. It is the dilatation of the pampiniform venous plexus and the internal spermatic vein. It is known to cause poor sperm production and hence infertility. Based on the size it is classified as small, moderate and large. It is diagnosed with a clinical examination and confirmed by a Doppler ultrasonography. As of now there is no medical therapy for varicocele it is corrected surgically.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.