Hernia Community
289 Members
Avatar universal

Who should i go to for a diagnosis of my groin pain

Last year I had an inguinal hernia repaired near my right leg. About 6 months ago I noticed the same pain on the left side. I don't feel a lump like I did before, but the pain is the same. I went back to the surgeon who worked on my pervious hernia twice, and he could never find anything. He suggested that I go to a pain management doctor who could help discovered what the cause of the pain is.

The doctor wanted to get an MRI, but my insurance would only approve an ultrasound, which revealed nothing.

I don't know really if that is the right doctor to go to. I know there is such thing as a Sports Hernia, but from what I can tell that is a condition that is really hard to diagnose, and my doctor wasn't even 100% certain that it is a real thing.

Should I go to a pain management doctor? Sports medicine doctor? Another Orthopedic surgeon? Any ideas?

1 Responses
Avatar universal
Hi, hernia is mostly a clinical diagnosis. If your doctor has ruled out a hernia, its most likely you are not having one. Repetitive movements, unaccustomed strenuous exercise or injuries can cause the pain described by you. Take OTC pain medications like Tylenol (acetaminophen) or ibuprofen. Ensure to take them after food. If the pain persists or becomes more severe please consult your primary care physician, he may then refer you to the concerned specialist if needed. Regards.
Have an Answer?
Top Digestive Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem