Herpes Community

1.14 positive reading from quest..for hsv 2..can it be false?

Hello.  I recently had a full std panel and my doctor called me saying I was positive for exposure to hsv 2. I have had no blisters or symptoms.  I called and asked about the western blot and my gyn said that is only for hiv and I am def positive.  Can someone tell me how I can obtain this test?  Thanks!
your hsv2 igg is a very low positive and isn't likely to be a true positive. Your provider needs to read through the 2010 cdc herpes testing guidelines to update their knowledge on herpes test results and the low positives.  

The western blot is just a type of test - they do it for all sorts of infections, not just hiv. The WB for herpes is only done at the U of washington here in the US. If your provider uses quest labs, it's test #34534.

when was the last time you had sex prior to your testing?  was there any particular reason for your testing or just a routine std screening?

grace
Thank you for your quick response.  I requested a full std test to be done during my annual exam with my gyn ( I was just doing a routine test to be on the safe side b/c I have diabetes as well and want to make sure I am healthy).  The last time I had sex prior to the test was the middle of October w/my ex fiance.  He told me he was clean and had been tested before entering a law enforcement academy.  What concerns me is how my doctor called me and said it is definitely positive and that I should come in for an appointment to see her and learn my options.  I have an appointment next Monday to see my doctor but they are already discussing taking  medication rather than any further testing.   I called quest to inquire about the test and they said it does not test for herpes.  I will take your advice and have copied the codes.  On my lab report anything greater than .89 is considered  positive by quest labs.  Thank you for your help and time in answering my question.  I am very highly depressed and stunned to say the least and feel so hopeless.
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Herpes/low-positives---confirmatory-results/show/1097724#post_5968138  is an ongoing post we have going with information about the low positives. You waited more than long enough to test so you can get the WB done to confirm your status.  If your local quest lab wasn't able to find the herpes WB blood test when they looked, it's a send out for them so they have to do a little digging to find the info as to how to send it out.  

no reason to start medication. it's not likely you really do have hsv2 and your provider needs to get some updated herpes testing education done for the benefit of their patients!

grace
Hi Grace I went to my doctor today with all the information from u of Washington about the western blot.  I called my ex he was tested he came back positive for hsv 2 as well.  I have no idea what his numbers are.  My question is this..if my hsv 1 was normal and my hsv 2 was 1.14 and my ex is positive should I still pursue the western blot?  Is it worth testing again because my doctor is convinced I am def positive.
yes you should still pursue it.
Thank you.  I wish there were more informed people like you in doctors offices.  When I gave my Dr all the paper work from u of Washington she was surprised.  I am grateful to you for all your knowledge.  Thank you I will keep going to get a def answer.  
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.