I spoke with you on the phone about 2 weeks ago. I had 2 x protected vaginal intercourse with 2 different escorts one night apart 12.5 weeks ago now. Less than 5 mins each. Here are my test results all Capita IgG except Biokit:
You and I discussed a 12 week test and if it did not come back above .60, then I could move on and put herpes to rest. Note that I tested 4 days shy of 12 weeks because I am traveling this week. Also note that I had a Biokit as well for further assurance.
Would a test at 12 weeks be meaningful now? Are we close enough at 11.5 with these low results? Do you feel we are above 95% certainty with this timing and these results as you had estimated for 12 weeks?
For my own knowledge, if I were going to seroconvert by say 14 weeks, would my numbers have started to rise by now?
Dr.Hook says move on. I just want one last word from you.
Honestly, I think you could probably just go with the results that you have. I know you are so worried, I'm not sure how much you would gain by testing again. However, you have been very consistent with your lab values all along so if you did decide to test again, I doubt a false positive would present itself. I wish I could decide for you, but I can't but those are my best words on the subject.
Also Teri, considering any additional accuracy that I might gain with additional test (s), would the accuracy be greater than my chance of a false positive that would extend this nightmare even further?
That would be a brutal blow.
As a final comment, others may be able to deal well with rationalizing the risks associated with casual sexual encounters.......they are not for me. Now I know. :-)
Thanks for your encouragement and kind words on the phone. I feel un-judged and filled with hope instead of despair. You are a true professional. Thank you.
I would add still no lesions. The anal irritation we discussed examined by 2 different MDs now and "looks and acts nothing like herpes". Only 1 Dr. Had seen it at the time we talked, but now a GI has seen it too. Diahrea has persisted for well over 1 month now and this is likely the cause of inflamation. Colonoscopy ordered to be performed next week. I'm thinking we are going to find IBS and the flare up is do to my nerves (primarily due to this worry).
I have thought about it, and have decided to test one last time. Would the Biokit test be acceptable as conclusive at the 15 week mark in my situation?
I ask this because the wait is only 10 minutes as opposed to 3-4 days for the Capita test. I must also be out of the country beginning at the 15 week mark and onward for a while. I will have access to the Biokit before I leave.
By the way, my colonoscopy is done and nothing major found. What a relief! As I thought, probably just my nerves!
I was able to work it out to get the Capita after all.
I am overwhelmed with joy to report that my 15 week test are NEGATIVE as follows:
Thank you SO VERY MUCH for all of your support. I truly do appreciate your counsel. I understand that the virus is really not that big of a deal, but in this case, protecting an innocent partner is what mattered most to me. You helped me keep it together and now I can move on and focus on what I should be focussing on, my family.
At this point, I'm hoping it doesn't matter as I continued unprotected relations yesterday with my significant other based on opinions from Dr's Hook and my personal physician, saying I am clearly and strongly negative. They say No more worries.
I also read other post from you explaining the controls and how #s fluctuate (expected in fact) based on that. The particular post I read showed index value increases more than double those seen in mine.
Still, I'd live one last word of assurance from you, then I'm closing this chapter and staying off of the Internet. :-)
I am still exploring non-herpetic causes for my anal issues. The anal rectal surgeon asked to do ANOTHER herpes test even after I told him the results I've had in the past through private labs. I reluctantly agreed and told him for 100% certain I would not agree to the test if he was going to use IgM. He said he was going to but would drop that part of it. He seemed to know it was flawed when I reminded him. Thank you for my education there.
AND.......the Herpeselect IgG came back Negative for HSV2. No value given and no HSV1 tested. I was not surprised and thankfully not stressed while awaiting the results.
So now, he suggests a "culture" for the next time the irritation shows up. I told him about the PCR, and he's not familiar with that test so he wants to "stay with the tests he's comfortable with". Here's the deal, he's got a Quest lab in his building. Can you tell me what the code is for the proper PCR test for me and what collection swab they need to use?
I'm not taking me down this path, he is. I was over herpes (still am). But, if I'm going to walk it, we're doing the PCR. I'm not going to sit and worry that I could have used a more current and better approved test.
Amazing the limited knowledge of professionals and the arrogance when you question it. When asked why he thinks we should culture, he says he doesn't think it's herpes, but we can check that box off in every way we know how. I guess that part is good.
OK. I found a place to look it up. 19502 appears to be the Quantitative test, and 34257 is the one that says simply detected or not detected. I have forwarded both codes to him. I'm supposing it doesn't matter, although 19502 seems like overkill?
Thanks again for your help. I'll probably be back to post the results if/when the swab is taken, just to tie up this thread.
I hope and pray no more confusion comes about. This has been a nightmare.
Copyright 1994-2018MedHelp.All rights reserved. MedHelp is a division of Vitals Consumer Services, LLC.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. MedHelp is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.