Herpes Community

Acute herpes infection

Hi. I was recently diagnosed with herpes. However, I don't know which type I have. I had a blood test performed, HSV - 1 & 2, antibodies, IGM and IGG. The IGM came back positive, the IGG came back negative, suggesting recent or acute infection. I was told that only a swab test on a recent herpes lesion would be able to tell me exactly which type of the virus I carry. My question is what is the indicated treatment for acute infection by herpes? I was treated with acyclovir 100 mg, 5 pills per day, during 5 days. I think it was too short. The herpes lesions I had on the shaft of my penis did disappear, but I have been felling other symptoms of herpes, mainly pain and numbness in the legs and lower back pain.

Another question is, does herpes suppress your immune system? Since I got herpes, I has an outbreak of HPV on my penis glans, which is being treated with imiquimod cream. The medicine does work pretty well, the problem is as soon as one hpv lesion disappears, another one appears on the glans. I think my immune system is undermined.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.